Notorious

Blurb:

There is a tradition set every year at Denver High. For one week, the popularity ladder is reversed, and kids who've been bullied all their lives can take revenge on those who've made them suffer. Callum Wright, the boy with a heart of stone, is their number one target. But when Scout Dawson blurs the lines of Hell Week by siding with Callum, she finds herself playing a dangerous game. Because when the week is over, Callum might just revert back to his notorious ways. After all, when you fight fire with fire, you're bound to get burnt.

My two-cent:

I had read this a long while back, so I read it again to give you guys a good review on why this should be added to your library. This one has a bad boy falls for good girl kind of storyline however it is quite different than others. The author has captured the nature of bullying in such an amazing sense that it will leave you speechless. It's a short story comparing to other books, only 16 chapters. There is no excessive fillers and is just appropriate in length for the author to send out the moral of the story. The fact I liked about this book apart from the great topic--bullying that usually occurs in our society--is that it's written so beautifully with no errors whatsoever (yay double points for you!). You can just feel the emotions throughout the plot. It just flows easily and one cannot help but get sway with that flow. Since it's a short piece it does feel like reading the middle section of a book with the beginning and ending ripped out. There are lots of things with no finite ending points especially true for characters. It was the author's way of giving each reader their own choice of drawing conclusions for the characters. And in my opinion, the mystery was a very interesting way of ending this story.

Some quotes I thought really captured the essence of the story are:
- "When you fight fire with fire, you're bound to get burnt."
- "Stick and stones can break your bones but words can kill."

I think we all are bullies in one way or another even if we try not to be, try not to hurt others, we do it knowingly or unknowingly -- and that's the sad part about our human nature.

Loved this book and I hope you all give this one a chance as well. You won't be disappointed I promise! :)

Status: Completed