Chapter 62: When There Was Me and You

I keep switching between the party and restaurant scenes within a single chapter but the episode is like that so I don't wanna ruin the flow lol. Also, this song's in the Selena is Sad playlist but I think it's perfect for how Selena feels in this chapter 💔

This chapter is... an interesting one :)

-

-

"Legs up!"

"Three, two, one! Drink! Drink! Drink!"

Sam and Tory chug the liquid from their cups as everyone chants. The blonde finishes first and crushes her cup in her hand before smiling arrogantly at Sam and tossing the cup to the ground. The audience cheers as they watch but Selena doesn't react, keeping a blank facial expression. Sam pulls her cup away from her lips and wobbles a little. "Too much for you to handle?" Tory mocks. Selena gazes at her cousin worriedly, hoping she doesn't fall and give Tory the satisfaction of watching her lose.

The blue-eyed girl finally steadies herself and throws her head back as she downs the rest of her beer before flinging the cup to the ground. Selena smiles while the crowd cheers. She still doesn't think this was a good idea because now Sam is going to be super drunk, but she understands why her cousin did it. She just wants to show Tory that she's not a pushover, she's standing up for herself. Selena looks at Miguel to her left and walks over to him with her arms folded over her chest. She stands right beside him as she gazes up at the two girls.

The boy feels her presence and turns his head to her. "Hey," he softly greets. "Hi," Selena returns, keeping her eyes on the girls. "You hate this, don't you?" she suddenly asks him. Miguel releases a small chuckle and shakes his head. "I... I just don't think it's necessary," he admits. He could do without all the conflict. Just like Selena, he's not interested in any rivalries but he somehow keeps getting caught in the middle of them. He doesn't understand Tory's need to one-up Sam. "Me neither. If it was a friendly competition then okay but... this is just sad," Selena replies.

What exactly does Tory gain if she wins against Sam besides a massive hangover tomorrow? "Speaking of competitions, you excited to get back into Scarlet Stepper stuff?" the boy questions, grinning at the girl. She finally turns to look at him and gleams. "Yeah, actually, I am. Ms. Cardenas is choosing officers and I really hope I get Colonel," she answers. Miguel's grin grows as he gazes at her admiringly. He loves the evident excitement in her eyes. He loves how giddy she gets when talking about something she loves.

He could listen to her ramble on for hours. "I bet you'll get it," he tells her. "Yeah?" Selena asks hopefully. "Yeah," the boy shrugs. "You're the obvious choice. Although whether you're Colonel or not, I'm gonna be at all your shows," he claims. This causes a wide smile to stretch across the girl's face as she gazes at him in awe. He's the sweetest boy she's ever met. She can feel her heart start to hammer in her chest as Miguel smiles back at her. "You better," she says. "I will," the boy confirms.

They both chuckle as they look at each other, forgetting about Sam and Tory in front of them. Selena's breath gets caught in her throat as she admires the boy's face. As she listens to her heart pounding in her ears, realization hits her like a ton of bricks. And there it is, she thinks. Her heart always goes crazy like this when she sees Miguel. It feels almost like a musical rhythm. Now she gets what Selena was singing about. She finally understands what her mom was talking about... Bidi bidi bom bom.

[[[[[[[[[[]]]]]]]]]]

Don Corazon's

Rosalía and Carmen stand in front of the mirror as they touch up their hair and makeup. A certain thought has been lingering around in Carmen's mind. "So, uh, how do you know Johnny?" she asks. Rosalía checks her lipstick in the mirror as she replies, "We kind of grew up together. We were friends in middle school then dated from eighth to ninth grade. Then I moved away and came back for senior year and ran into him again. I don't know how much he's told you about my husband but there was some conflict for a while before it finally dissipated and we remained acquaintances."