Chapter 20: I Didn't Love Him

I know y'all have been waiting for this ;)

Daniela Nieves as Jocelyn Saldivar

-

-

Miguel and Sam have been dating for a while now and Selena can't deny that they're kind of cute together. However, that doesn't mean she's happy about it. Whenever she sees them kiss or hold hands at school, she clings onto Ethan a little tighter, hugging or kissing him as if that's supposed to make her feel better... it doesn't. She doesn't know why she doesn't feel much of a spark with Ethan anymore, it's like it's dying out. Her heartbeat has never sounded like music around him but she hangs onto this relationship in hopes of it blossoming into something beautiful like her parents' romance. She just wants to feel her heart go bidi bidi bom bom. She wants what her parents have.

Selena and her friends stroll through the mall with shopping bags in their hands. They walk out of Sephora, the boys feeling thankful that they're finally out of that store while the girls are satisfied with their purchases. Selena is elated because she just bought Selena Quintanilla Perez's favorite lipsticks: Revlon Soft Silver Rose and MAC Russian Red, and she's excited to use them. "Bro, I'm hungry, let's get some food," Carlos suggests as they meander through the sea of people. The others agree and they make their way to the food court. They're chatting and laughing when Selena suddenly spots a familiar figure up ahead, making her heart drop.

In the distance, Ethan is sitting on a bench making out with another girl, who she immediately recognizes to be Jocelyn Saldivar from the girl's soccer team. Noticing her distressed face, her friends all follow her line of sight, seeing the pair as well. Their jaws drop, some of the girls gasp while the guys scowl. "Oh, my God..." Ximena mumbles. "That's Ethan," Vanessa says in shock. "Sel?" Celeste asks, setting a hand on Selena's arm. Selena remains frozen as a million thoughts run through her head. He lied to me...

"That explains so much," she finally mutters, sighing heavily. Now she knows why they've been spending less and less time together. All those times he claimed to be busy, he was really sneaking around behind her back. Not being able to bear watching this scene any longer, she pipes up, "let's just go." She'll definitely confront him later in a less public setting. "What? No," Isaac retorts. "He can't just cheat on you and get away with it! We need to do something about this!" he exclaims. The other two boys babble in agreement. Selena shakes her head. She'd love to beat his ass herself but she's not sure she has the strength to look him in the eyes right now. "No, I will, just not now. I don't wanna cause a scene," she claims.

Isaac scoffs and shakes his head before storming off in Ethan's direction anyway. Jose and Carlos follow, fuming as much as he is. "Hey, Isaac! Guys, stop! Nooo..." Selena yells as she and the girls jog after them. "Hey!" Isaac calls out as he nears the pair on the bench. Their heads snap up and Ethan looks like he's seen a ghost when he notices the three guys. He shoots up, putting his hands up in surrender. "Uh- hey-" he chokes out before the boys interject. "What, you thought you could cheat on Sel and we wouldn't find out, huh??" Isaac accuses, roughly shoving Ethan. "Aye, chill," Ethan utters as he stumbles back. Jocelyn just sits there with her mouth agape.