Chapter 108: The Divorce

The Skate Park - A few hours later

Selena is pulling her car into a parking space when her phone starts ringing. She puts the car in "park" and grabs her phone to answer the call. "Miguelitooo. Did you talk to him yet?" she speaks. "Yeah. I'm not sure it worked, but we'll, uh, see. What about you?" her boyfriend's voice sounds through the rectangular device. "Sam and I gave our best sales pitch but I couldn't tell if he was buying or not, you know? Maybe my mom will have better luck," the girl responds. Rosalía usually obtains results when she works her magic so she has high hopes.

"Well, we did everything we could. But if anyone can convince them, it's definitely her. If this doesn't keep our dojos together, I don't know what will," Miguel voices tiredly. "We have to try everything..." Selena trails off, her eyes flickering up to the windshield. In the distance is Robby skating by himself. The girl's nervousness magnifies as she observes him. "No matter how difficult it may be," she finishes. "Alright," the Diaz boy affirms. Selena gulps as she takes off her seatbelt, preparing herself to get out of the car.

"Hey, um, I'm about to do something kind of scary so, um... I'll talk to you later," she tells her boyfriend. Her words puzzle the boy. "What do you mean 'scary?' Is everything okay?" he inquires, becoming concerned. "Yeah, just... I'm gonna try to talk to Robby," Selena informs him. Miguel's eyebrows raise in surprise. "Oh..." he reacts. He does not like Robby, especially after he betrayed Selena and joined Cobra Kai, but he knows how much he means to his girlfriend. So if she wants to try to reason with the Keene boy, who is he to stop her?

"Yeah..." Selena quietly replies. "Uh... well... I hope it goes well. Seriously," her boyfriend sincerely tells her. A small grateful grin stretches across her face. "Thanks, Miggy," she softly voices, glad he didn't react negatively. "I'll tell you all about it later, okay?" she adds. "Okay," the boy responds. "Bye," the girl bids farewell. "Bye, Sel," Miguel replies before Selena hangs up. With that, she finally climbs out of the vehicle and locks it. She inhales a deep breath as she looks at Robby, who hasn't seen her yet.

Sam wanted to talk to him as well but since the boy is angrier at her, the cousins agreed that Selena should talk to him alone first. So here she is, stepping toward him anxiously with a fast-beating heart. "Robby," she calls out as she approaches. The boy's head snaps to her and he stops skating. He stares at her with parted lips, surprised by her presence. He's secretly delighted that she came to see him but he won't show it. Selena nervously plays with her fingers as she gets closer.

Meanwhile, Robby kicks his skateboard up to grab it and faces his body in the girl's direction. "Um... hi," Selena hesitantly pipes up, not knowing what else to say. "Hi?" Robby greets back in a questioning tone. The two remain quiet for a moment, finding it difficult to strike up a conversation, which is so unlike them. "You know, I looked for you at all your hangout spots after you ran away. Sam and I came here every day hoping to find you," the girl finally mentions. The boy rolls his eyes at the mention of the blue-eyed LaRusso.

"So what do you want?" he flatly asks, avoiding eye contact. Selena is taken aback by his tone, noticing the lack of eye contact. "I–" she chokes out nervously. "I just... I wanted to talk. The last time we saw each other didn't exactly end well," she trails off. Robby slowly nods, looking unamused. "You're gonna try to convince me to go back to Miyagi-Do," he assumes. Selena only gapes at him. When she doesn't respond, he shakes his head and continues. "I made my choice, Sel... Selena," he corrects himself. Using her nickname is too personal.

"It's done," he states, lightly shrugging. "But nothing is ever set. You can still make the right choice. I know you've always beaten yourself up over your past mistakes, but you're a good person. I know that. My parents know that. Your dad knows that," Selena attempts to reason with him. His eyes soften as she's speaking, he can't help but drop the detached facade upon hearing her compassionate words. However, the mention of his father rubs him the wrong way.