Chapter 80: Long-Awaited Reunion

West Valley High School

Selena is sitting in the cafeteria with her friend group when she spots Moon at a nearby table. She excuses herself from her friends to go say hi to the girl. She gleams as she approaches Moon and greets, "Hey, girl" as she claps her shoulders from behind. Moon turns around, seeing her drop into the seat next to her. "Hey!" she cheerily returns. Selena flickers her eyes to Yasmine across from her, sending her a small smile. "Hi, Yasmine," she acknowledges her. "Hi," the blonde replies, returning the smile.

When Selena returned to school, Yasmine apologized for how she acted in the past and informed her that she didn't want there to be bad blood between them. Selena never liked the girl but she's all for ending negativity, so she decided to give Yasmine a chance. The girls engage in a conversation when a familiar voice suddenly captures their attention. "Hey! You ready to rock..." Demetri pipes up, nearing the table with a giant sheet-covered project in his hands. "Our Earth science presentation?" he finishes his sentence.

Selena grins amusedly at the boy as he sets the item down and sits in the chair between her and Yasmine. "I'm ready to go back to a world where we don't have to talk to each other on a regular basis," Yasmine sassily quips. Demetri gives her a mock-offended look as he raises his hands in surrender. "Hey, hey, hey! My popularity is on the rise while yours is steadily declining," he claims, pointing at the blonde. Oof, he got her there, Selena thinks. "But, uh, maybe we can meet in the middle. Like a sexual Venn diagram," Demetri continues, winking.

Selena and Moon laugh at this while Yasmine grimaces in disgust. "Ew," she mutters. Despite acting like she's disgusted, Selena gets the feeling that Yasmine secretly wants to jump Demetri's bones. Her eyes land on the boy's shirt and she sharply turns her body to face him. "Man! I almost wore my Dunder Mifflin shirt today, we could've matched!" she complains, pointing to his "Fresh Beets" t-shirt. Demetri gawks at her, thinking about how great that would've been. "Aw, damn it," he whines. He snaps his fingers and claims, "next time I wear The Office merch, I'll text you."

"You better," Selena warns. Moon laughs at their interaction. "So what's under the sheet?" she asks. "I'm glad you asked," the boy says, pointing at her. He stands up and pulls the sheet off of the project. "Behold... what scientists believe to be the Valley when dinosaurs roamed the Earth," he announces. Selena and Moon beam as they analyze the lego world he's created, impressed. Even Yasmine has a smirk on her face. "Go ahead, press the hadrosaur egg," Demetri encourages the blonde girl. Yasmine does as he says, pressing on the egg.

Screeching noises emit from the project and smoke comes out of the volcano, fascinating the girls. "Woahhh. When your teacher's done grading it, can I have it?" Selena utters, glancing up at Demetri with a glint in her eyes. The boy thinks for a second. "Maybe," he answers, wanting to keep it as well. "Not bad... My parents may not have to pay for my A this time," Yasmine praises. Selena raises an eyebrow upon hearing this. My parents would never. "Oh, your parents will never have to pay for an A again," Demetri claims, making Selena chuckle.

Meanwhile, a short distance away at the Cobra Kai table, Hawk is bouncing a soccer ball on his knees as Big Red walks over, recording him. "Hey, 22 in a row. New record," he proudly states. His eyes fall upon Demetri, causing his smirk to slowly disappear. He sees Moon and Selena laughing at what the lanky boy is explaining. They're completely invested in whatever he's saying. He doesn't like how much Moon is smiling while Demetri is speaking. His eyes shift to Selena and bitterness fills his chest when he sees how entertained she is by Demetri.

It used to be Selena, Miguel, Hawk, and Demetri. Seeing her enjoy his ex-binary brother's company is a huge reminder of how it's now him versus Selena and Demetri. He hates that Demetri still gets to be her friend and he doesn't. "And at 8,251 individual pieces, this meticulously assembled model represents the exact moment before the asteroid hit the-" As Demetri is talking, a soccer ball comes flying in his direction, crashing onto his lego project. All the girls flinch when this occurs.