Chapter 25: Might As Well Adopt Him

Guys, help me manifest these Bad Bunny tickets 😩🙏🏼 My life won't be fulfilled until I see him live :(

-

-

Reseda Strip Mall

The teenagers fill their arms with various treats in the liquor store to take for the party they're throwing at the canyon. Selena stands next to Demetri as she scans the candy section. "Alright, be sure to stock up good. I'm inviting everyone. 'VIP only,' my ass," Aisha voices as she grabs an armful of baked Lays and hands them to Bert. "I still don't understand how we're gonna buy alcohol," Demetri pipes up, leaning on the shelf in front of him. Hawk scoffs as he walks by, heading toward the coolers. "Oh, please. Never underestimate the power... of the Hawk," he confidently states as he opens the cooler full of beer. Selena notices that Miguel still hasn't come back inside.

She hands her snacks to Demetri before heading outside. The bell chimes as she exits, making Miguel's head snap up. "Hey," she greets as she approaches him. "Hi," he returns as he stashes his phone in his front pocket. "Were you on the phone?" the girl curiously asks, eyeing his hand in his pocket. "Oh, I was trying to call Sam but she's not answering or texting me back so I left a voicemail," the boy replies with a downcast face. Selena nods, her face falling. She's not surprised that he's worried about Sam since she is his girlfriend but that doesn't prevent the unpleasantness inside her. "Have you talked to her? Do you know where she is?" he asks her.

"Uh, no, she hasn't responded since we left the park," the girl replies, shaking her head. Miguel sighs, wondering what his girlfriend is so busy with that she's not responding to anyone. However, as his eyes fall upon Selena, his worries dissipate a bit. At least she's here, he thinks as he studies her, a small soft smile tugging at his lips. Selena notices the smile and starts to feel a bit nervous. Why is he looking at me like that? She wonders. "Are you okay?" she pipes up as she examines his face. This snaps the boy out of his trance. "What? Yeah, why? Why wouldn't I be?" he babbles, blinking a few times. Selena shrugs. "I don't know. I think you zoned out for a second there," she chuckles.

Miguel instantly goes along with that, not wanting her to know that he got lost in her beauty. "Oh, yeah, I- I, uh, I zoned out. It happens sometimes," he stammers, chuckling nervously. The girl nods, finding his awkward state adorable. "Okay," she chortles. They fall silent as they just smile at each other, both feeling their faces heat up under the other's stare. All of a sudden, their friends burst out of the liquor store, interrupting the moment. "We got the good stuff," Hawk announces with a proud smirk. "Let's go," Aisha chimes in before they head to her car. Miguel and Selena nod and timidly glance at each other one more time before following the others.

[[[[[[[[[[]]]]]]]]]]

Juárez LaRusso House

Rosalía sits at the kitchen table as she does some paperwork for her dance company. Adrian and Camila sit there as well doing their homework. Suddenly, the doorbell rings so the woman gets up and heads to the living room with a curious Camila on her tail. She opens the front door, revealing Robby on the other side of it. "Hey, Mrs. JL," he greets with a smile on his face. His eyes travel to the girl behind her mother and his grin grows. "Hi, Camila," he voices in a higher pitch. "Hi, Robby!" the child happily chirps. She developed a small innocent crush on Robby after he had dinner with them. "Hi, Robby, what's up?" Rosalía acknowledges the boy, sending him a warm smile.

"I'm just here to train with Mr. LaRusso. He out back?" he informs her, pointing in the direction of the dojo. "Oh, no, I'm sorry, mijo, he's not here. He's working all day because of... that's a really long story so never mind, it doesn't matter. Come in, you can wait for him in here," the woman responds, waving him in. Robby grins and steps inside the house, and Camila rushes back to the kitchen. Rosalía shuts the door before leading him to the kitchen. Robby scans the house as he walks, searching for someone. "Is Selena home?" he asks. "Ah, no, she's not. I'm sorry," the woman answers, feeling a bit bad. So that means no Sam, the boy thinks, disappointed.