Chapter 78: You're Family

Omg, I need to make Rosalía tell a story again because as we all know, she is an entertaining storyteller. The Luis vibes lol 😂
Anyway, on to the karate drama!

-

-

Juvenile Detention Center

Selena nervously taps her foot as she looks around the grey room. She's waited for this moment since Robby ran away but that doesn't make her any less nervous. She's afraid of what his reaction to her will be. She's not entirely sure what she's going to say to him. Sure, there's a lot she wants to say but the minute she sees him, she knows her mind will go blank. A loud buzzer rings, causing her head to snap up. A door opens on the opposite side of the room and Robby walks out, accompanied by a guard. Selena straightens up when he comes into view.

The boy eagerly scans the room before his eyes land on Selena. He stops in his tracks for a second, his mouth agape as he stares at her before he snaps out of it and scurries over to her table. "Selena!" he calls, dashing over and sitting down. The girl reaches her hands out and he grabs them without hesitation. "Hey, Robby," she greets, giving him a somewhat emotional smile. "Hey..." he mutters, that familiar abash taking over his chest. He felt excited when he spotted the girl since Rosalía told him that she's been wanting to see him.

Although now that she's in front of him and holding his hands, his remorse decides to creep up on him. He averts his gaze, not being able to make eye contact with her. "Sel, I... I'm really sorry," he speaks, his voice trembling a bit. Selena swallows the lump in her throat as she listens. "I know," she whispers, squeezing his hands. Robby keeps his head down as his face twists up in sadness. "I, um, I'm sorry that you're in here... but I'm glad you're okay. I looked for you. Guess I missed my brother from another mother," Selena mentions, shrugging and lightly chuckling.

Despite the sorrow still lingering within him, the boy releases a chortle. It's crazy to him that she still sees him as a brother. Shouldn't she hate him for hurting Miguel? He finally lifts his head to meet her eyes. "You're not mad at me?" he asks. The girl looks down at the table and sighs before glancing at him again. She shakes her head. "I'll be honest, I was at first. I was really angry at you for what happened... but that went away and all that was left was worry. I'm not saying that what happened is okay but I know you messed up," she expresses.

Robby stays silent for a moment as he listens. The guilt is written all over his face. "I promise I didn't mean to kick Miguel over the balcony. I- I regret what happened. I know I hurt you, I..." he rambles, his mind getting all jumbled up. "I know, Robby. I know you regret it. Don't worry about me, I'm here, okay?" the girl chimes in, offering a warm smile. The boy nods in return. Selena would say that she forgives him but she's not sure that she's the right person to grant him forgiveness. Miguel is the one who went over the balcony, not her.

"And Miguel's gonna be okay. He's awake," she adds, hoping that'll make him feel better. She runs her hand over her arm and looks off to the side, which Robby takes note of. This is a habit of hers when she's feeling uncertain. He knows she's withholding information from him. "But?" he asks. Selena turns to him, seeing the knowing look on his face. Of course he knows there's a "but," she thinks. She presses her lips together, hesitant to tell him. "But... he might not ever walk again," she reveals. Robby is taken aback by the news.

It's difficult to process the fact that Miguel may be permanently paralyzed from the waist down because of him. "He had surgery this morning. It's not much of a guarantee but we're hoping for the best," the girl adds. Robby lightly nods as he takes in the information. Then, it suddenly clicks in his mind. That's why my dad didn't show up. He feels a pang in his heart at the thought but chooses to ignore it. "You visit him?" he asks, trying to push the thought of his dad aside. "I do. I just... have to see him. You know?" Selena replies, lightly shrugging.