Chapter 6: I Don't Get Jealous

The family sits at the dining table, except for Xavier, who actually decided to spend the night in his dorm this time, eating the dinner Daniel cooked tonight. Selena tells them about what happened with Aisha. "Sam said no so she asked me and I told her I already bought my costume. And I said maybe we could order or make one for her so we could match but she said no. I feel bad, you know, but I'm so excited to wear my costume," she rambles. Aaliyah takes a sip of water before speaking up. "She wanted to dress up as salt?" she questions, furrowing her eyebrows. "Basically," Selena verifies.

Aaliyah shrugs. "I mean, that's creative but yeah, I'd rather dress up as something cooler than a molecular compound," she opines. Selena shrugs. She's open to the idea but she had already purchased her costume. "I'll dress up with Aisha," Camila chimes in. Everyone chuckles at her sweetness. "You will?" Selena asks in a sweet voice, smiling at her sister. "Yeah, she's nice. She bought me chips," Camila claims, causing everyone to laugh again. "Aw, mama, that's so sweet but you can't go to the dance. Es para los niños grandes [It's for the big kids]," Rosalía informs her. Camila pouts, making her mother caress her chin in a comforting manner. Daniel observes them with a small smile, loving how gentle his wife is with their daughter.

"Mm. Speaking of the dance, I got an email from the school. They're looking for chaperones. They seem pretty desperate," he chimes in, taking a sip of water. "I bet. No one wants to spend their Friday night with a bunch of kids at a school," Rosalía scoffs. "Well, you're off the hook. I said I'd do it," Daniel states. Selena's head snaps to her dad, giving him a disapproving look. He stares back like a deer caught in headlights. "What? Come on, Counselor Blatt and I go way back. I couldn't leave her hanging," he claims. "Ha. Counselor Blatt," Rosalía snarkily scoffs.

Selena and Aaliyah share a look that says: uh-oh, knowing some tea is about to spill. Daniel gives his wife a quizzical look. "What?" he queries. Rosalía glances at him for a second before looking down at her plate and shrugging. "Oh, nothing. I'm sure Counselor Blatt will love having you there," she remarks. Daniel is even more confused by this. He looks around at his kids, hoping any of them will enlighten him. They just avert their gazes when he looks at them, not wanting to get involved. "Um..." he trails off. His wife looks at him and rolls her eyes. "Come on, Daniel, how do you not know?" she voices.

"Know what?"

"Haven't you noticed how cold she is toward me?" she questions. Daniel lightly shrugs. Men, Rosalía thinks. "That woman has had a crush on you since high school!" she blurts. The kids' eyes widen but they stay quiet, just eating as they listen. "What? No, she hasn't," the man counters, making his wife scoff. "Yes, she has. I know she didn't like me back then. She always looked at me ugly and whenever she talked to me, it was always: 'are you still with Daniel? You haven't broken up yet? No...? Oh..." she mocks Blatt's voice and disappointed face, causing the kids to snicker. "Even now she still looks at you like you got freakin' galaxies in your eyes!" she conveys.

"Oh, come on. That's ridiculous, you were probably just reading too much into it. And even if she did like me, there's no way she still would. It's been years!" Daniel argues. Rosalía shakes her head at his naïveté, wondering how he could be so clueless. "She called me 'Rosala' the last time I saw her... I know she did that on purpose. I know she knows my name," she bitterly mentions. Daniel just gives her an amused look. "Aww, honey. Are you jealous?" he teases her. Rosalía gazes at him with an offended look. "No!" she claims in a high-pitched voice. "Mm-hmm," her husband hums, smirking at her. 

Rosalía scoffs. "No, papacito, I don't get jealous, okay?" she states, pointing at him. "You sound jealous," Adrian chimes in. Rosalía turns her head to him with an unamused face. "Quién te preguntó?  [ Who asked you?]" she sasses. The boy only smiles amusedly and shrugs. "Well then, so we all agree that dad shouldn't chaperone the dance so Blatt won't flirt with him?" Selena hopefully speaks up. Rosalía sighs. "That's not what I'm saying. I'm not afraid of her flirting with your dad," she clarifies. She knows that Daniel is loyal and would never cheat, he loves her too much to do that. She just finds Blatt annoying and doesn't appreciate her crush on her husband.