Chapter 3: Strike First

Diego Tinoco as Ethan Navarro

-

-

Selena sits on her bed with her laptop in front of her as she facetimes her cousin, Sam. She's the daughter of Amanda and Louie, Daniel's cousin. They're divorced because Amanda couldn't stand him but she kept the last name for some reason. "Your mom didn't get mad at you??" Selena asks in disbelief. Sam shakes her head. "No. She wasn't happy about it but I told her I'm sorry for throwing a party without asking and that I'd never do it again," she explains. Selena raises an eyebrow. "Wow, my mom probably would've made me clean the entire house and the neighbor's house," she responds, making her cousin laugh.

"Hey, can you come over? Or can I go to your house?" Sam asks with an enthusiastic grin. I love that she lives so close, Selena thinks. Sam lives across the street with her mom so they're always hanging out. She's about to answer when her dad suddenly appears at her door. "Sel, you got a sec?" he asks as he walks in. He notices the computer and adds, "oh, I didn't know you were talking to your friends. I'll- I'll come back." He's about to walk out when Selena stops him. "Oh, no, it's just Sam! Say hi," she speaks, turning the laptop around to face him. He smiles and waves at the camera. "Hi, Sam."

"Hi, Uncle Daniel," Sam replies, smiling. "Oh, by the way, can I go to her house? Or can she come here?" Selena asks her father, even though she already knows the answer. "Yeah, sure," he responds. The girl smiles and holds her finger up, telling him to wait. "I'll be there in a few minutes," she informs Sam, who responds with, "okay." She closes her laptop and glances up at her dad. "Did you want to tell me something?" she addresses him. "Uh, yeah," Daniel affirms, striding into the room and sitting on the corner of the bed. This is going to be awkward, he thinks.

"So I just heard about that boy you've been seeing..." he trails off. Selena purses her lips, awkwardly looking down. "Mom told you already??" she asks. Daniel nods in confirmation. Damn it, mom, the girl thinks. "She didn't say how long you've been seeing him though," the man informs her, giving her an expectant look. Selena fiddles with her fingers and shrugs nonchalantly. "Um, like... two months?" she answers, trying to sound casual. Daniel raises his eyebrows.

"Two months?? How come you told your mom but not me? You know you can trust me," he questions. Selena meets his eyes, feeling bad about this. "To be fair, I didn't tell her until last week. And I know. I do, it's just... you're my dad so it feels kind of weird to tell you about boys. Plus, I didn't know how you'd react," she explains. Daniel gawks at her. "What? I can talk about boys," he counters. Selena gives him a pointed look. "Really?" She sarcastically asks.

"Yeah!"

The girl scoffs. "Come on, dad, we both know you're uncomfortable right now! Mom doesn't get uncomfortable talking about this stuff," she points out. Daniel sighs in defeat. "Okay, fine, maybe I don't need all the details but I'd like to know when you're dating someone, okay?" He voices. His daughter nods. "Okay. Sorry for not telling you," she apologizes. Daniel grins and rubs her arm. They both look down, staying silent for a moment. "So who is this guy?" Daniel suddenly pipes up. A small shy smile forms on Selena's face.