Chapter 26: Beautiful Selena

Update: I got my Bad Bunny ticket 🤪 My only flex is that I'm seeing Olivia Rodrigo and Bad Bunny this year 😩ANYWAY, back to the karate drama...

-

-

Daniel and Johnny are fully invested in a conversation as they still sit in the bar drinking their Coors Banquets and martinis. "She hit you?" Daniel laughs after Johnny tells him about the time he annoyed Ali so much with his insistence to get back together that she punched him in the face. "Yeah, I had it coming," the blonde replies, making Daniel chuckle and shake his head.

"Yeah, that girl was something. I still feel kind of bad about what happened between us," Johnny expresses before drinking from his bottle. He harassed her about getting back together until Rosalía returned to town. Ali was so sweet, caring, and attentive, these are qualities he desperately craved. She reminded him of Rosalía in that way, which is why he hung onto her for dear life until the true owner of his heart came back.

He feels guilty for using her to get over Rosalía. Ali was too good of a person to deserve that. Daniel just nods as he listens. The blonde turns to gaze at him and asks, "you ever see her these days?" The dark-haired man responds, "Nah." He shakes his head and picks up his drink. "Not in decades. I never really talked to her, she was more of Rosalía's friend. I hear she met some guy in med school," he informs, taking a sip of his martini. "Ali's a doctor now? Wow. I knew she was smart but I figured she was hot enough to avoid work," Johnny responds. That's a weird mindset, Daniel thinks. "Yeah, she's a pediatric surgeon. Her husband's an oncologist," he answers.

"That's good for her," Johnny replies. It sounds like Ali's doing okay, which is a relief to know. "Yeah. They live in Denver," the dark-haired man mentions. Johnny sends him a quizzical look. "For someone who hasn't talked to Ali in decades, you sure know an awful lot about her, man," he remarks. "I've seen her on Facebook," Daniel casually answers. The blonde stares at him with a blank expression. "What's a Facebook?" he questions. Daniel turns to look at him. He's utterly astonished by the man's cluelessness. "Wow. Really, Johnny?" he scoffs, not believing how out of the loop he is. He sarcastically chuckles and voices, "co- come on" as he pulls his phone out of his pocket. He opens Facebook and goes to Ali's profile, showing it to Johnny.

"Ali Mills Schwarber? That's her last name now?"

"Yeah."

"Wow, what a downgrade. Are there any photos? I wonder how she's holding up," Johnny asks. Daniel shakes his head. "No, you gotta be her friend to see them. I never friend-requested her," he conveys. "Why not?" Johnny asks before sipping more beer. Daniel finds the question ridiculous, the answer seems obvious. "Because I'm a happily married man. I don't need to be snooping around my wife's old friend's photos," he states. His wife, Johnny thinks as jealousy starts to kick in. He tries to ignore the feeling. "Hold on, is that her husband? Let me see," he asks when an image on the screen catches his eye. Daniel scrolls down and taps on the photo, causing it to display in full size.

Johnny tilts his head and shrugs as he analyzes the picture. "She seems to have a good life. That's good," he comments. He's glad to know that Ali is happy now... but he still feels like he has unfinished business with her, he needs to right a wrong. "Yeah," Daniel agrees. His mind wanders back to Johnny's story about Ali. A particular thought has been pestering him and he needs to address it. "Can I ask you something?" he pipes up, gazing at the blonde. Johnny gives him a skeptical look. "Sure," he replies, drinking some more beer. "If your breakup with Ali was fresh and you wanted to get back together with her... why were you after Rosalía despite not having seen her in two years?" Daniel questions.

This takes Johnny aback. He averts his gaze, staring down at his Coors Banquet instead. There's so much he could say about that but they'd be here all night if he fully went into it. Plus, he doesn't want to tell Daniel that he's still in love with his wife. "She was my first friend ever, my first girlfriend... The first person to show me kindness, you know, besides my mom. I guess that's why I was still attached to her..." he conveys. Daniel gives him an empathetic look. It's interesting to get inside Johnny's head and gain an understanding of why he acted the way he did all those years ago. He absolutely understands the attachment to Rosalía, he felt it and continues to feel it too.