Chapter 24: Who Is This Man?

A few of the Cobra Kai kids are at the park and Selena sits on a bench in between Miguel and Aisha. "Come on, eat something. It'll make you feel better," Demetri tries to persuade Miguel. The boy shakes his head as he stares down at the plastic bag-covered sandwich in his hands. "I told you I'm not hungry, man," he gloomily replies. Demetri and Selena exchange a glance. "I still think you're overreacting," Demetri opines. Selena makes a face and nods in agreement. "I'm not overreacting, dude. I know what I saw," Miguel fires back. The girl rolls her eyes. "Dude, I already told you there's nothing going on between him and Sam. They just met yesterday," she points out.

From behind them, Hawk chimes in, "alright, so you saw her eating dinner with some chode." He kicks Bert in the face, causing him to yelp and collapse on the grass. "Sel said he works for her dad. Sam will probably just see him like a brother or something," he suggests as he approaches the bench and stands behind Selena. "No, dude. Brothers don't look at their sisters like that," Miguel replies as if what he said was completely ridiculous. In reality, that does bother him but not as much as the thought of Selena and Robby becoming involved. That's part of the reason for his sour face but he can't admit that in front of the girl and his friends.

"Depends on what part of the country you're in."

"Some do."

Demetri and Selena utter at the same time, making a face. Miguel ignores their comments. "Look, I just don't want what happened to Sensei to happen to me," he voices, looking at Demetri. Selena frowns at this and the boy turns to her and mutters, "Sorry." She merely nods. Miguel didn't go into full detail but he mentioned that Rosalía and Johnny dated before her and Daniel. Selena heard of a boy who tormented her dad and pestered her mom when they were young but she never knew it was Johnny Lawrence. When Miguel looks away from her, she rolls her eyes. She finds his concern over Robby and Sam annoying. She feels bad for being annoyed but she can't help it. 

"Alright, so you go over to this kid and beat his ass so he doesn't have the chance," Hawk casually suggests. Miguel rolls his eyes while Selena turns around to give him a weird look. "Who is this man??" she sarcastically questions, referring to Hawk. The boy shoots her a smirk. "Your man if you let me," he flirts, winking at her. Selena scoffs and playfully rolls her eyes as she shakes her head, thinking he's joking. Hawk drapes his arms over her and pulls her back so her back presses against the wooden bench. He wraps his arms around her shoulders and the girl raises her hand to pat his arm over her chest. She doesn't think much of it since her guy friends usually act this way with her and the other girls in their group.

Miguel's head snaps to them and he eyes Hawk with a barely noticeable scowl, not appreciating how he's holding her. "Don't listen to Eli," Demetri pipes up, making him slowly turn his head to him. Hawk shoots him a look. "It's Hawk," he corrects him. "Yeah, whatever," Demetri sasses with a sarcastic expression. Selena chuckles at this. "Hawk" is such a funny name to her. "The fact is, Sam's given you no reason not to trust her," the tall boy continues. Miguel considers his words and gives in, "yeah, I guess you're right." Selena purses her lips, bitterness bubbling up in her chest. "Yeah," Demetri states. Out of nowhere, Aisha finally makes noise after being silent for so long.

"Oh! That little bitch!" she exclaims as she furiously glares at her phone. The other four snap their heads to her. "What?" Miguel questions while Selena asks, "which one?" Aisha finally rips her eyes away from her phone to look at them. "You know that video I posted of me breaking that board?" she asks. "Yeah," the other girl confirms. Aisha extends her arm to the side to show everyone her phone. "Look what Yasmine commented." They read the comment Yasmine left where she mocks Aisha's size. "Oh, shit," Miguel reacts. "Man, that pendeja must be really bored to take time out of her day to say shit like this," Selena remarks. Aisha scoffs, nodding in agreement. "I gotta do something," she claims.