Chapter 28: Another Tournament

It's tournament time, guys... LET'S GET IT

-

-

Daniel and Sam sit on opposite ends of the couch with Selena in the middle, laying her head on Sam's lap and her feet on her father's lap. The TV is on in front of them but none of them pay attention to it as they scroll through their phones. Sam mindlessly strokes her cousin's hair as she looks at her phone in her other hand. She slept over the night before and Selena spent that time consoling her and doing things to distract her from her heartbreak. She and Miguel broke up after the fiasco at the party and Sam is pretty upset about it. Despite not really loving her cousin and the boy together, Selena still feels sorry for Sam and hates to see her unhappy. Miguel tried contacting both girls but they ignored him.

Selena is still upset about what transpired the night before, he acted like a completely different person. She knows he was intoxicated, which doesn't excuse anything, but she hopes this new attitude isn't permanent. Rosalía walks in with Xavier and Aaliyah, seeing the three unmotivated individuals sitting quietly. "Why are y'all still sitting here like we don't got somewhere to be???" she pipes up. She and Aaliyah stop behind the couch while Xavier scurries around it and sits on Selena, making her groan. "Bro, get off of me!" she voices, shoving him while he just cackles and fights against her. "Get up then," he counters, putting more of his weight on her.

"Mom!" Selena groans, hoping her mother will make him get off. The woman merely shrugs. "Get up and go get ready then!" she snaps back. Wow, how sweet, Selena sarcastically thinks, finally managing to shove her brother off of her. The boy laughs as he goes to stand behind the couch next to his mother. Aaliyah gazes at Sam and decides to speak up. "Sammy, baby, I'm sorry about your boyfriend- and your bestie," she utters, glancing at Selena. "But come on, you guys should go with us!" she tries to convince the girls. Rosalía nods before turning to her husband and leaning over the couch to look at his face. The man turns his head to glance at her, fighting the smile that wants to form on his lips when he sees her gorgeous face.

"Amor, we've been over this. This isn't a telenovela, you don't have to freak out so much over Robby being Johnny's son," she claims. The man gives her a somewhat vexed expression. "And it shouldn't stop you from going to the tournament. Come on, don't make me go without you!" she voices, straightening up and squeezing Daniel's shoulders. She glances at the two teenagers next to him and adds, "or you." Daniel reaches his left hand up and places it over the hand Rosalía has on his shoulder while holding his phone up with his other hand. "Nobody's making you go," he counters. He's really not in the mood to go, especially since Johnny is competing.

"Que pendejada estás diciendo? [What stupidity are you saying?] LaRusso Auto Group is one of the main sponsors, which means one of us has to be there! And we're all going so it'll be really sad if two out of the eight of us don't go," Rosalía argues, flickering her eyes between her husband, Selena, and Sam. None of them respond as they just think about her words. The woman shakes her head. "Fine, do what you want. Xavier, go make sure Adrian's ready. Aaliyah, same thing with Camila," she orders the two oldest, who both agree and go to do what she tells them. "If y'all need me, I'll be in the kitchen," she addresses the moping trio before strutting away.

Selena turns her head up to glance at Sam's face, who eyes her before gazing at her uncle. Daniel just has his fist over his mouth as he stares at the floor in thought. "I'll go if you guys want to go," Sam speaks up. "I didn't say anything," Daniel rapidly responds, trying to sound impassive. "I know. I just know it's your thing," the girl utters. Selena shifts into a sitting position and crosses her arms over her chest as she thinks about her options. She wants to go and she told Hawk she'd be there but she's nervous about seeing Miguel. She wants to stay mad at him a little longer but she knows that might change if she talks to him. "Not this year," Daniel scoffs, glancing at the two girls. Sam thinks for a moment before turning to him.