Chapter 52: Viejo Loco

Miyagi-Do Dojo

Rosalía and Daniel arrive at the dojo and climb out of the yellow car. The woman yawns as she closes her door, which her husband takes notice of. He woke her up early and insisted that she go with him to the dojo. After much begging, she finally agreed, not being able to resist his big brown eyes and puppy dog face. "Don't worry, you'll feel energetic soon," Daniel claims, smiling optimistically as he grabs his duffel bag from the backseat. Rosalía sighs heavily as she trudges over to him. "Why am I here again?" she questions. "I wanna get an early jump on today's lesson plan," her husband answers before he shrugs, a sweet grin taking over his features.

"And I like having you here... Your presence motivates me," he admits. This causes the woman's heart to melt. "Really?" she asks, beaming at the man, who nods in confirmation. "So I'm not a distraction anymore," she voices, raising her eyebrows. Daniel chuckles and gently grips her arms, pressing a kiss to her forehead. "Oh, I'm always very aware of your presence, but when it comes to teaching... I don't know, you just motivate me more than you distract me. Maybe it's because there are kids there," he responds. He clasps his wife's hand as they walk toward the dojo.

She just giggles at his answer. "But when I'm practicing alone," Daniel adds before leaning close to her ear. "That's a whole different story," he huskily utters. Rosalía playfully rolls her eyes, feeling a chill shoot through her body. Before she could reply, her phone vibrates. She takes it out of her sweater pocket and checks the screen, seeing a text from Amanda. "Oh. Amanda just sent me a reminder of our lunch with Anoush," she announces. Daniel knits his eyebrows together. "That's today?" he asks. "Yeah! We both have to be there," his wife affirms. "Right, I know," the man replies, nodding.

Knowing that it completely slipped his mind, Rosalía voices, "Amor, he and Amanda have been doing a lot for us. And Anoush is not happy. Especially after getting punched in the stomach." They reach the canvas doors and Daniel slides them open before the two step inside. "Alright, no problem. It's gonna be a light day, we'll both be there. Alright?" the man claims as they slow down to a stop. He sets down his duffel bag and his wife gives him a serious look. "Alright. I can't spend the whole day here because there's some stuff I need to do for the studio before lunch so... you better not forget," she states.

Daniel smiles at this. "Don't worry, I won't," he assures her. The sound of the punching bag captures their interest, making them turn their heads in the direction it's coming from. They turn back to each other with weird looks. "Someone's here early," Rosalía says. Daniel nods in agreement. "Maybe it's Robby," he suggests as they start making a beeline to the doors leading to the backyard. "Robby?" the woman calls. She slides the door open and steps outside, her face falling when she sees a grown man at the punching bag.

"Well, I guess the early bird catches the wor-" her husband speaks as he walks behind her, cutting himself off when he sees the man. John Kreese smirks and takes his cigar out of his mouth when he hears the voice. Daniel's smile immediately drops. "It's a cute little place you guys got here," Kreese pipes up before looking directly at Daniel. "Do you teach karate... or gardening?" he tauntingly asks, lighting his cigar. "What the hell are you doing here, Columbus?" the woman spits, earning a sinister grin from Kreese.

"So this is what it's come to. Breaking and entering?" Daniel chimes in, glaring at the old man. Kreese takes a puff from his cigar before stating, "I'm just here to say thank you." The couple sends him a dissatisfied look. "Thank me for what?" Daniel questions, narrowing his eyes. "Well, taking our weakest soldiers from our ranks. That was kind," Kreese answers, stepping in front of the pair with a shit-eating grin. Este viejo esta loco [This old man is crazy], Rosalía thinks. "Soldiers," she and Daniel repeat, scoffing. "They're kids," Daniel retorts.