Chapter 7: Black Widow & El Esqueleto

Selena glances around the gym as she chats with Ethan, her eyes landing on her dad and Counselor Blatt

Selena glances around the gym as she chats with Ethan, her eyes landing on her dad and Counselor Blatt. Damn, my mom was right, this lady definitely likes my dad, she thinks as she observes how Blatt's practically drooling over him. Daniel scans the room and spots his daughter. They make eye contact and Selena pulls her phone out, quickly texting him. Feeling his phone buzz, Daniel takes it out of his jacket pocket and checks his messages.

Selena:

I'm telling mom

He quietly scoffs and glances at his daughter with a snarky grin, knowing she's joking. He hasn't noticed Blatt's behavior toward him and he doesn't believe she's crushing on him. Either way, he doesn't really care about her anyway, he's too focused on keeping his eye on Selena and Sam. Selena chuckles at her dad's reaction before returning to her conversation with Ethan. After a few minutes of chitchat, she notices Aisha standing alone. "Hold on a second," she excuses herself before going up to her friend. "Hey, girl," she greets her. "Hey," Aisha returns, grinning. Selena can tell she's not entirely enjoying herself.

"You look cute," she compliments her, the sincerity evident in her voice. "Thanks, you too. The wig looks great on you," Aisha compliments back. Selena touches a red strand of artificial hair draping over her shoulder and grins. "Really? Thanks!" she tells her. Just then, Sam nears them. "Hey," she chimes in, looking between the two. "Hey, prima! [cousin!]" Selena greets her. Sam eyes Aisha's outfit and comments, "I like your costume." Selena can tell that Aisha is a little upset. She barely smiles as she replies, "thanks, ditto. It doesn't really work without the chloride."

"I don't know. Sodium's pretty badass. It's the silent killer," Sam claims. Selena nods and adds, "Yeah and I think it's really creative, it's unique." She leans forward and lowers her voice as she speaks, "do you know how many pirates I've seen in the span of like five minutes?" Aisha laughs at this. "Dang, you really just called out Kyler and his friends," Sam chuckles. Selena turns to her with a face that says: oop. "Oh, shit, yeah!" she cackles, gripping Sam's arm, causing the other two to laugh along. Their laughter soon subsides and Sam sends Aisha a guilty look.

"Hey, look, I-"

"It's okay. I'd rather go as sexy than funny too... if I had that option," Aisha awkwardly chuckles. "Don't say that," both cousins simultaneously speak, feeling awful about how their friend talks about herself. Sam's friends' voices interrupt the conversation. "Hey, Sam, come over. We're gonna go live," Moon calls out. "Get your ass over here!" Yasmine adds. The trio turns around to see them and Kyler's group huddled together as Moon holds her phone up. I bet Aaliyah and my mom would love their costumes, Selena thinks as she examines their Laker Girl costumes.

"One second," Sam chuckles before focusing on Aisha and Selena again. "Can the three of us make plans to hang out soon? It's been way too long," she requests. "I'd love that," Aisha responds. "Yes, it needs to happen," Selena answers at the same time. Sam nods in satisfaction. "Stay salty, my friend," she addresses Aisha. "See you later, Sel," she tells her cousin, turning around to saunter off. "Bye, Clamantha," Selena says back. Sam stops in her tracks and gives her a look. "That nickname again," she groans. "You can't escape it," Selena teases, causing Sam and Aisha to laugh. Selena has been calling her "Clamantha" ever since the show, Fish Hooks came out eight years ago.