Chapter 48: Open Your Eyes

Oh, the Time After Time nostalgia... 🤧

-

-

Rosalía walks into the hallway after sending Adrian and Camila to bed, going toward her bedroom. She approaches the open doorway and peeks in, seeing her husband walk out of their bathroom in pajamas. He doesn't notice her and walks over to the bed, pulling the covers down to climb in. Rosalía smiles as she observes him and looks down, feeling nothing but pure love and happiness.

She glances back up and walks into the room, heading to her side of the bed and climbing under the covers. The man sees her and grins, getting into bed as well. His wife scoots closer to him, draping her arm over his torso and resting her head on his shoulder. Daniel wraps his arm around her and kisses her forehead.

"What a day," he sighs. Rosalía hums in response. "Did you ever imagine having kids who get into karate mall fights?" she suddenly asks, chuckling. Daniel chuckles as well. "No, I did not... but Sel did what you taught her to do," he claims. His wife glances up at him with a quizzical look. "When you love something, you protect it.' She loves her friends," he continues, quoting her. A smile graces Rosalía's lips when he says this. She loves knowing that her kids do listen to her. "I guess we did something right with them, huh?" she comments, making her husband grin fondly. "Yeah. Yeah, we did," he proudly affirms.

The two fall silent and Rosalía's mind wanders back to earlier when Daniel talked to Demetri. "I saw you teaching Demetri in the dining room. You really are an amazing sensei, mi amor," she mentions. The man releases a small chortle. "I don't know about that but I'm learning," he answers. "You are. You really care about your students, that's the most important quality every teacher needs," his wife assures him. A soft smile forms on Daniel's face. She always makes him feel like everything will be okay when he has his doubts. He loves how she can do that. He lowers his head and captures her lips in a loving kiss.

After all this time, he still hasn't gotten tired of kissing her and he knows he never will. When they pull apart, the woman snuggles up to him even more, feeling like she's on cloud nine. She thinks about her kids, how they're so youthful, energetic, and full of life. Sometimes when she sees them, she wishes she could turn back the clock and be young again. "If you could go back to one day from our youth, what day would it be?" she suddenly asks. "Only one?" the man asks, finding that challenging. He'd relive it all again if he could. "Yeah, just one," his wife confirms, looking at him. "Hmm," he hums as he thinks.

He takes a moment to decide, there are so many moments he'd love to revisit. He finally makes up his mind and chirps, "oh, I got it. It's hard to pick just one but if I have to... I'd say my 18th birthday, the day before the tournament... and the day I asked you to be my girlfriend." Rosalía beams as her heart pounds in her chest. "Also the day we kissed for the first time," she states.

The man nods in return. "Exactly. I remember that day perfectly. When we kissed, I felt it in my bones... I knew you were the one," he softly utters. Memories of Mr. Miyagi giving him and Rosalía meaningful gifts, buying junk at the liquor store, eating tacos in his new car with Rosalía, and the scrapbook she made him run through his head.

He remembers how it felt to kiss her for the first time, how ecstatic he was when she said yes to being his girlfriend. He'd give anything to experience that again. Rosalía remembers it well too. She misses the excitement of a new relationship but she also loves where they're at now. "What about you? What day would you go back to?" Daniel questions.

The woman stares off into space in thought for a moment. Choosing only one day is a challenge for her as well. "I think... the day we landed in Okinawa. I know it was kind of dramatic with the whole Sato and Chozen thing but... " she answers, slightly chuckling. "That was our first trip together and that night was the first time we slept in the same bed– for the whole night at least."