Chapter 53: Before We Get Started

Guys... we're getting closer to the season two finale 😳 I'm excited lol.

-

-

Miyagi-Do Dojo

The students sit outside together by a tree in the burning heat. Selena fans herself, feeling the sweat forming on her forehead. At this point, she'd rather be back in the air-conditioned Starbucks with Miguel. Heat usually never bothers her, but this time she really feels like she's being cooked out here. She turns to Robby on her right, seeing him chugging water from his bottle. "Oh, God. It's so hot out," Demetri whines, dropping his head onto Sam's shoulder. "I'm sweating in places I didn't even know I had pores," he claims, wiping his forehead on Sam's shoulder.

Selena lightly giggles as she watches her cousin wipe her shoulder on Demetri's shirt. She turns back to Robby, who has his head down. She nudges his arm, making him lift his head and look at her. She nods her head toward the water bottle and sticks her hand out. "Can I have some?" she asks. The boy nods and gives her the bottle. "Thanks," she says as she takes it and removes the cap. She cranes her neck and lifts the bottle to her face, voicing, "don't worry, I don't have cooties."

She hovers the bottle over her mouth and carefully tips it downward, letting the water fall into her mouth. Robby chuckles at her claim. "Then why are you drinking it like that?" he asks, observing her. Selena lowers the bottle and wipes her mouth. "Because you might have cooties," she jokes. Robby tsks and shoves her, making her cackle.

"Alright, guys. Get out from under that tree. It's time to get to work."

The teens look up to see Daniel standing in front of them. They all groan as they shuffle to their feet. "Hey, Mr. LaRusso, it's like 100 degrees out. Can't we take it easy today?" Robby requests. "Are you kidding? This heatwave is a gift. Today, you are going to experience Shochu-Geiko," the older man responds.

All the teens just stare at him with dumbstruck faces. "Like the car insurance?" Chris pipes up, making Selena snort. "Shochu-Geiko is a Japanese exercise where you train during the hottest days of the year. It's about pushing yourself to your limit. The fight isn't always gonna come when it's 75 degrees and breezy," Daniel depicts.

"I thought we had to avoid fights?"

"Aren't we supposed to avoid fighting?"

Selena and Sam question at the same time with knitted eyebrows. The man purses his lips. "Sometimes you can't. Someday, the fight may come to you. And I wanna make sure you're ready. So today, we're gonna see what Miyagi-Do is made of," he explains. He seems so optimistic compared to the teenagers, who all lack energy due to the heat. Selena didn't fail to notice her father's facial expression. She can tell he's worried about Cobra Kai attacking them. She understands though, considering that they did destroy the dojo.

*Time skip*

Everyone's standing in front of the house in a circle with Robby in the middle. He stands in a fighting position, looking around in anticipation. "Two!" Daniel shouts. The boy behind Robby runs at him but he turns around just in time to counter the attack. He grabs the boy's arm and punches him in the gut before slamming him to the ground. Daniel grins proudly and Robby helps his fellow teammate back up. The boy returns to his place in the circle while Robby gets back in his fighting stance. "Five!" Daniel calls out. This time, Selena runs in.

Robby swiftly turns around when she throws a kick, which he successfully blocks. However, the girl spins into another kick and manages to strike him in the chest. The boy places his hand over the spot she kicked and looks at her with a smile. Selena shrugs and sends him a cocky smile. "Nice," Robby chuckles, going in for their handshake.