23

I found my way to the pond late. The moon was high and the stars were burning in the sky. My letter was written and I had nothing left to do except sit and wait for the sun.

Cause everyone knows I won't be sleeping. No matter how sickly I look nor how many snacks can fit into the bags under my eyes.

I reached the water's edge and had flashbacks of the last time I was by a body of water this late at night. The first day on earth was so long ago.

I dropped my bag on the white rocks and smiled at the water. The soft light blue and purple glow of the rocks shone in the shallow end of the pond. The radiation's effect glowing in the night. The colors lighting up the water as I could see through it. It was beautiful.

I never thought I would have been able to see a glowing river again. Not after the battle. I never was able to enjoy the water then. And because the only thing that lives in this water according to Madi and her village are fish, I deemed it was safe to take a break.

I sat down on a bleached rock and began to untie my boots. My thick black socks came off with them. My pale bare feet glow in the light of the moon as I pop my toes.

I stand to unstrap the throwing knife holster around my left thigh. My waist belt with my two daggers follow. I set them each gently in my bag, saving space for the rest of my gear. My hunting knife and wrist sheath were next. My clothing becoming lighter and lighter as I loosened my sword and pulled it from over my shoulders. The thick sheath and blacksmith crafted hilt stood proudly in the light of the moon. I slowly lowered the sword beside my backpack and wedged it between the bag and where my shoes sat.

The soft lapping of the water calmed my nerves as I felt exposed to the night. The metal weapons off and the weight lighter as I pulled the two silver cuffs from my wrist and laid them inside my bag.

My shirt was next. The black long sleeve material smooth on my skin as I pulled it off and neatly folded it up.
The black design on my wrist stood proudly as I pulled my cargo pants from my body and placed them beside my shirt.

I breathe in, the colder night air caressed my skin as the lapping waves called out to me as a siren would to a sailor.

I was going to do this.

My bra and spandex joined my pile of clothes that needed to be washed. The socks definitely needed to be burned. Now completely bare, I pulled my hair from the knotted mess Madi created when she asked to braid it.

I pulled the few twigs and wilted flowers from the red strands as I took soft steps towards the water. My red waves trickled down to the middle of my back. My hair had grown back almost as long as when I was on the Ark. I didn't intend for that length to ever come back.

I reached the edge of the water, my hand reaching up to my neck only to touch bare skin. I didn't have it anymore. I would have to settle for the real moon in the sky.

With a deep breath, I placed my hands at my sides and took the first step.

My toes dunked in the water and the rush of cold water roared through me. My senses became numb as I took the next step. My face pointed upward towards the moon. Towards the stars. The night sky gave me the courage to take the third and the fourth, then the fifth and the sixth steps.

Until finally, I was waist deep in the water. The cold sting evaporated to numbness as the water now lapped at my skin. The glowing blue brushed the dirty skin of my waist.

I continued out until my feet no longer touched and I was swimming with the water up to my shoulders. I lifted my hands and watched mesmerized as the moonlight hit the falling water making it look like sparkling diamond. It was beautiful.

"If only you could see this." I whispered as I looked down past my feet to the luminescent rocks below.

I breathed in and slowly sank down into the water. My hair floating out all around me as I closed my eyes and listened to the silence of the water.

The soft squeeze of the liquid felt like a hug as I sank further into its grasp. The floating feeling set me free as I held my breath.

My feet touched the smooth rocks at the bottom of the pond. My feet digging into the soft soil as I released a few air bubbles. The lack of air kept me pressed to the pond bed.

I slowly opened my eyes, the water gentle as I looked around. The soft blue and purple glow of the rocks beneath my feet shone against my fair skin.

I was enchanted. I didn't ever want to come up for air. I felt secure. The water wrapping me in a hug. I wasn't scared of the water. I never had been.

But I had to come up for air at some point. I just didn't want it to be from a disturbance in the water above.

I felt the ripple, and saw the shadowy figure leaning over the water from the side opposite of my bag. I grabbed two large glowing rocks and pushed off from the bottom. I was fully prepared to defend myself if this wasn't Clarke or Madi.

Who else would be here. Another Nightblida? It seemed impossible, but we're still here after all. I had several questions by the time I surfaced, my eyes snapping towards the shadow when my heart leapt into my throat.

Instead of who, I should have been asking what.

But now all I'm asking is how?

The two rocks sunk to the bottom of the pond as I stood frozen at the sight above me. My feet peddling in the water to keep my head from sinking.

Across the pond, head turned to make eye contact, wasn't just one shadow but two. And one of them was mine.

The tears warmed my cool cheeks as I felt a piece reconnect in my heart.

"You flew."