110

As the silence settled back over the ridge, the rover long gone, I crept towards the panther's body. My hands free as I knelt beside the cold predator. I closed my eyes and sat in the silence of the night.

I used this time to sift through my thoughts which caused a variation of emotions to appear. The anger, the pain, the frustration, the rage, the hope, the sorrow, the yearning.

I caught them all into one jar, shook it then opened the lid. The waves of emotion rolling through me as I remained still.

I sat beside her for a few more moments before the crackling of the walkie came to life.

"Persphyni, please come in." My heart leapt at his voice, my hand unclipping the walkie from my diagonal sword strap.

"Who'd you fight to get the walkie?" I joked standing from beside the panther. His chuckle filtered through.

"Might have had to lay one on Murphy. It's good to hear your voice." I smiled.

"Murphy can handle it. It's good to hear you too. Bell, I'm sorry I took off without talking more." I could hear him sigh.

"Pers. It's what you do." I shook my head.

"But I shouldn't. We're a team now, asshole. I should have woken you up and actually talked to you about it first."

"That would have been nice. Would have kept me from waking up in a panic." Now I felt worse.

"Bellamy." I sighed.

"Hey, we don't need to talk about this now. Even though we're on a private radio channel, this isn't the right timing."

"Agreed. You obviously called to tell me something and not just to hear my lovely voice, so what's up?"

"Madi did it. We're going to be marching at dawn." I let out a breath of relief.

"Perfect. Keep me updated if anything changes. Reinforcements should be arriving at the pillboxes any minute so I need to move. I'll push from the ridge once you arrive."

"Be safe."

"You as well. I will see you in The Valley."

_______•*•*•*•________

I patted down the soft soil before standing up. Dusting my hands off as I looked at the small dirt circle I had made. There was a small dip in the center where I had moved the panther's body then an inch wall of soil surrounding it.

I didn't want to bury the panther as she is a part of nature and to do such would be a break in the cycle, but I still wanted her away from prying eyes.

I stood for a few more moments before walking away. My feet leading me to one of the larger trees I had found previously and began to climb. I would wait for the attack to begin from here.

And I waited.

And waited.

And waited.

"Persphyni. Come in."

"Are y'all coming yet?"

"Nearly. We are preparing to march. But the Commanders from the past have showed me something. I know how to win." I couldn't help but grin.

"I still get to sneak attack from the ridge right?"

"Yes, but don't go right away. And make sure you're more than fifty yards away from the pillboxes." I rose an eyebrow.

"Madi. Please tell me you're about to bomb the ridge."

"It's a surprise." I let out a chuckle.