21

I watched the east as the sun began to rise. The soft pinks and vibrant blues danced in the sky. The colors intertwined delicately as they stretched outward over the dark blue of the night before.

This was the sixth sunrise. The sunrise I wrote would be the last one before she should consider me dead. The expedition went just as planned and now it was time for me to go back to Eden.

I clipped the map up on the passenger side so I could read it as I drove and started the Rover. This time there was only a soft roar with no signs of the engine cutting out.

It was time to go.

I pulled the parking brake off and shifted the car into gear. With a brief glance to make sure everything was inside and secured, I eased onto the accelerator and I was off.

The Rover's wheels turned and climbed the terrain as I maneuvered through the small path the dead forest provided. I would be traveling another ten minutes on this road before we got out into the dunes. Once we were there I had about three hours of drive time.

And then I'd be back to the village. Hopefully where I'll find both Clarke and the girl. As long as nothing bad had happened, this should be good. Because now I can go explore around the forest and have some more time to myself instead of watching over Clarke.

I'd step back from my overbearing protective nature and let myself relax. Or at least try to. I don't think I even know what relax looks like. Nor if I'd even be able to do it.

_______•*•*•*•_______

The terrain shifted from dead forest to hot sandy hills as I plotted my course on the map. If I had a global positioning system then this would be so much easier. But no. I have to count seconds and check landmarks that were approaching way to quickly.

Especially the large crater of sand. The topography map showed the elevation drop and I didn't see it until myself and the Rover were driving down it at over sixty miles an hour. Which normally isn't fast, but add that plus downhill, on sand.... I'd pass.

But I couldn't stop. I had to get my momentum going or else I'd be stuck. I couldn't get stuck. The last time I had gotten stuck I had help, I had someone to keep me from going into the rain and dying.

So I did as any good driver would do, I stepped on the accelerator.

I went from seventy to ninety in seconds. The engine roared as it fought to keep up the horsepower. But I wasn't going to get a second chance. It was now or never.

And I chose now.

As the Rover hit the large incline, the tires caught the small grains of sand and dug in. The tread gripping the grains tightly as it compacted together to provide a stable base which helped propel the Rover up.

Up and up and up, until finally I was at the top. Once we hit the peak, the Rover flew slightly into the air and then dove back down the next side of the dune. This one much smaller and shorter than the one I had nearly gotten stuck in.

"Rover Pers, you've been cleared for landing." I made static noise with my mouth as I messed around. My adrenaline pumping as I continued through the desert.

I didn't want to think about what would have happened if I had gotten stuck but at the same time it was all I could think about as I chose to stick to high ground from now on.

It didn't matter how or if I got stuck, but every single scenario led to one outcome.

I die. I'd have gotten so close, done so much, get so far only for sand dunes to stop me. The sand was an inanimate object. That shouldn't do a damn thing to me. But it would have done enough to the Rover.

I couldn't die when I know that would mean I'd never see them again. Him again.

________•*•*•*•_______

I haven't stopped. I haven't needed to. If I was hungry I snacked on the last bits of food I had. If I was thirsty I toughed it out. If I were to take a small sip of what I had then I would want to keep drinking and then I'd be craving the small amount of water I had left. The lack of hydration was keeping me from needing the bathroom and was giving me a small headache, but I pursued onwards.

And if I needed to pee, I held it. Bladder of steel.

The day wasn't young anymore and I knew nightfall was just around the corner. If I slowed down or stopped, Clarke would think I was dead. Because I'm not going to make it back if I did.

The sand dunes have become more like bumps then hills but still I kept a cautious eye out as I stuck to the high ground. My eyes scanning the landscape and my map every so often to make sure I haven't hit specific landmarks.

Realistically, I shouldn't have been able to make it back since I was coming from a different angle. But my memory has become sharper than it was before Alie. She may have unloaded all the memories onto my shoulders but they were filed away now. Only vague remains of those that were not mine, but now I have become more keyed in and focused on the ones I create. Ever detail is captured, honed in to the finest piece of sand.

That attention to detail is what drove my gut before and will continue to do so now. The mind is a powerful place, as we have all seen with Alie. The mind can ensnare and trap any individual should you let it. It is why often the smartest people are the most dangerous.

I looked out at the window and sighed as I drove on. I really needed to do other things. I glanced over at the radio system and the small white iPod sitting in a holder.

That would work.

And I'm eighty miles from goin' insane
I've been missin', missin' those days
So baby, let me love you,
So who's gonna drive you home?

I am.