14

"Come on. The sun is up we can leave now. I know you can't walk very well but we need to get your stuff back."

Clarke groaned as I shook her awake. She had been terrified by the little girl to the point she stayed up almost the rest of the night. Only falling back asleep when her mind couldn't stay awake anymore.

"We can go to the water first. That's probably the best bet. If she's not there then at least we can wash up." Clarke rose an eyebrow at me.

"You're getting in the water?" I rolled my eyes at her question. I turned and started to strap on the rest of my weapons.

"Shut up. I'll get in when I know it's safe. Until I've assessed this girl to not be a threat, no. I will not be getting in the water." Clarke laughed.

"You think a little six year old is going to drown you?" I turned to face her as I tightened the sheath around my forearm with my hunting knife.

"She won't drown me. She may drown you though." Clarke's laughter died as she realized I had a point. Her own fear coming out. "If I'm in the water, I may be too late. What then. I kill her and avenge you. I'd rather not even have to have that thought."

"I said it as a joke. Obviously. You haven't been one to just jump in. And you implied 'we' as in us. Sorry if I wasn't taking you seriously." I pursed my lips as I watched her lower her eyes to the ground. Almost as if she was being scolded.

"Clarke, I'm not scolding you. I just wanted to explain myself. When I figure out if it's safe or not, I promise I'll take a bath so you don't have to endure the smell of my sweat. Though I'm pretty sure I've been doing well to wash and dry my clothes to make sure I'm not absolutely disgusting. But you have to understand I've had worse conditions. I'm able to endure worse things. Bathing isn't as high in priority as protection. But for you, we need to make sure your wound doesn't get infected."

"Well we can't wash the stitches. But I can definitely scrub around the edges to make sure it stays clean. Then I'll wrap it with cloth." I smiled and extended a hand to help her walk.

"That sounds perfect. Baby Dr. Griffin."

_______•*•*•*•_______

Walking down to the water was a pain in the ass. I had given Clarke her walking stick to use so she could keep up her leg strength, but I really should have just carried her. Every step took half a minute. I swear a turtle could move faster than we did.

But it was good. Really. I needed to assess where she was health wise. More on the mental side. If she were to have given up easily then I would have been concerned.

"And we're there." I sighed as I heard the soft rush of water. It was serene. Then I heard a sharp splash. "And so is she. Clarke, stay here."

I carefully stepped down the hill and through the rocks, keeping my feet light and silent. As I exited the foliage of the forest, I could see the young girl in the water holding a spear. I crept closer as I examined the area to see if any of Clarke's belongings were around.

It would have been easy to just grab the girl and make her tell us where Clarke's bag was, and that's what I was planning on doing when I heard Clarke from behind me.

"Can you teach me that?" I watched as the girl whipped her head around. My feet moving quickly as I ran to the other side of the water's edge. My body diving behind a large rock before the girl knew I was there. Thankfully she turned away from me and her unruly mane of brown hair covered her vision enough that I was certain she hadn't seen me.

"Wait!" Clarke hobbled as the girl started to run towards where I was hiding. "Give me back my things!" I had to hold back my laugh at the plea in Trigedaslang.

I watched the young girl run up the hillside and moved to follow her. Clarke would be fine on her own for a few moments.

We ran through the trees. My footsteps match hers as she takes quick turns and jumps over several obstacles. The pathway we were running on was impressive, and the fact she had it memorized even more so. When she jumped at a specific rock to clear a large pile of leaves, I jumped at that same rock.

She occasionally turned her head and I would have to swing low and hide from her line of sight. Clearly this girl has had practice. I scanned the area ahead of us and noticed a stair step of branches I could move across if she were to keep turning her head. I couldn't keep making up that time.

I jumped and grabbed ahold of the branch, swinging up and back before letting my momentum carry me to another. My feet landed on the top of the branch and I kept running across the trees until I was right above her. I watched as she approached the village and knew I needed to wait to see where she would go.

It felt amazing. The total control of the situation. At any moment I could end this chase, but I didn't. I watched as she snuck into a building in the far corner of the small town area.

She spent a few minutes inside then came back out. Her eyes peering through the window to make sure it was clear. While the ground was clear, the air was not. It's clear that she had never been trained to examine all around her nor always be prepared.

When I saw her exit the building I couldn't help but be baffled at the fact she no longer had her spear. Her small hunting knife was still on her hip, but she had just become more defenseless.

I watched as she slowly crept back over to this side of the town, her feet moving back towards the path we had just ran. She began to head back towards the water, this time slower and more relaxed.

If only she knew there was a hunter on her tail.