63

"It's not the rations. If so then Miller would have gotten it too. They share everything."

"It got in him somehow." Clarke voiced as she peered over my shoulder while I pulled Obika's jacket off. When this thing showed itself I didn't want anything stopping me from getting it.

"It had to be an open wound or through an orifice." I spoke as I tossed his jacket into the far corner of the room.

"Wait. Look." Bellamy shone his flashlight on a patch of blood as he neared Obika's body. Clarke following as she helped roll his pant leg up.

"We have to go back." Clarke began her hands cupping the wound.

"What? No." Octavia's tone was menacing as I looked at everyone inside the tent. Despite my warnings they all moved in closer than I wanted them too.

"He told Miller that they were everywhere."

"Yes, but Miller just said he saw nothing." Octavia spat back at the blonde.

"Everywhere could mean everywhere inside him." Cooper, who had stepped into the tent a few seconds ago responded trying to help Octavia. "I agree with Blodreina."

"What a surprise."

"What a surprise." Indra and I both speak at the same time. My tone more mocking and quiet as I roll up my long sleeve on my left arm, my story of ink halfway on display, then folded my right sleeve over my empty hunting sheath.

"We march on at first light." She left no room for discussion as she moved towards the exit of the tent.

"And Obika?" Octavia turned to Miller.

"If he's not better by then, I'll end his pain myself."

I growled under my breath as Octavia walked out.

"Everyone out." I spoke low my fist clenching as I stared at the barely breathing male. They stood idle.

"If this fucker decides to make itself known I don't need any other bodies near. So once again. Get out." I kept my voice calm but firm. Yelling wouldn't do any good. Not right now.

Indra and Cooper were the first, followed by Clarke and Bellamy. The later reluctant as I shot him a pleading look. Then it was just Miller and myself.

"Come here." I whispered as I stood up to wrap Miller in a hug. His arms latching around me as he eyed Obika from over my shoulder. "I'm so sorry." I whispered as I squeezed him tighter.

"I'm sorry too, but he'll pull through." I smiled sadly as I just held him.

"I'm not sorry I left, because then Bellamy wouldn't be alive but I am sorry I wasn't there for you when you needed me." Miller pulled away as I spoke. His eyes meeting mine.

"Persphyni. Yes, you would have helped. But all the shit we went through- I don't wish for anyone to experience it. I'm happy you survived. Jealous even. But we're together now. That's all that matters." I looked at the younger male who had grown up so much in the last six years.

"We were so young back then." I slid my hunting knife in its sheath before pulling the red hilted dagger from its sheath. "I know I told you before, but I promised your dad I would look out for you. I didn't do a good job, but I'm going to make up for it all I can." I held out the dagger so he could see it.

"You kept it." He eyed the well polished and glinting dagger.

"I'm never going to get rid of it. Don't tell my other blades, but this may be one of my favorites." I whispered the last part covering my mouth making Miller chuckle. That's all I needed. Was for him to forget about everything else for a minute.

"I'll make sure not to say anything too loud." I smiled.

"Thank you. Now get out of here. I've got a patient to attend to." Miller nodded and left the tent leaving myself and Obika alone.

I sighed and moved over to the table where his body was laying on.

"I don't want to give you false hope. But if by any chance you're still alive, I'll try to get this parasitic demon out of you." I spoke quietly as I clasped my hands together. Waiting for something to change or move.

I wasn't a doctor. But in this scenario, a doctor was the last thing Obika needed. He needed a hunter. Something to capture and get this parasite before it fully drained his life force.

It nearly amazed me how long the worm was taking to kill him but I knew that there was more nutrients in a human than in a hog. Or at least the worm seemed to like it in there.

I stared at the still stomach and nearly gagged when a thought popped into my head.

That shithead better not be making babies. Or so help me I will burn this entire tent down.

I glanced at the tent flap them back to Obika.

Killing him now would save so much hassle. The worm would die. Any potential baby worms would also die. Killing the host means cutting of the nutrients supply. And I would just have to burn Obika's body to make sure the worms were truly dead.

Had this been eight years ago, Obika would have died a long time ago.

Damn humans making me weak.

"You've got until morning. But after that. That parasite is coming out. One way or another."

It seemed I was going to be playing the waiting game.

Which is only fun when stalking prey.

And not something I knew very little of.

I dazed into space, wondering if maybe air vents weren't so bad after all.

They weren't when you compare them to this. (In case anyone was wondering)