Never Let Go

Minutes felt like hours as Tony and Carol kept searching through the wreckage. The hope that Tony had been trying to hold onto was beginning to slowly slip away as each place he checked showed no signs of life. It looked more and more like the worst outcome was becoming reality. 

"Come on Y/N don't do this to me" Tony said to himself as he landed on another piece of the facility, scanning it for anything. 

Carol dodged through a field of debris before flying high above it, staying up there, above it all she looked at the scene below her. It was total carnage, it looked like far too many of the scenes she had seen in her time travelling through space after battle had been fought and lost. 

Looking to her left she could see Tony, he was moving methodically from section to section. Glancing back around something caught Carol's attention, there was a piece of wreckage that had been pushed out further than the rest. At first Carol though it was just another scrap but as it tumbled weightlessly through the void of space, she realised that somehow it was a perfectly sealed part of the facility. 

It looked like it had been compacted together in the explosion rather than being torn apart like most of it had been. If there was any chance of Y/N surviving for longer than a minute with no oxygen source or protection from the freezing temperatures it would be that. 

"Tony watch my back, I'm heading a little further out, I think I've found something" Carol said to him through their comms link to one another. 

"Got it, lead the way Danvers" Tony replied as he engaged his thrusters again and pushed off from the scrap he had been standing on. 

Carol flew forward, praying that Y/N was going to be there, but more importantly that she would be alive still. Landing on top of the battered piece of the facility, Carol's fist glowed with the power and light of a star, bringing it down she punched straight through the thick reinforced metal. Prying it back, Carol made an opening that she could fit through and dropped down inside. 

The inside was already beginning to collect layers of ice, it crunched beneath Carol's boots as she ducked under some of the broken parts that hung from above. The space inside wasn't massive and on first glance, Carol's heart sunk slightly not spotting anyone there. 

Before giving up, Carol pushed slightly further ahead, she noticed a large pile of fallen metal to her left and that's when she saw the tips of a frost covered hand reaching through the fallen metal. Rushing forward Carol immediately began clearing through the pile. 

Tony appeared at Carol's side and like her began removing large chunks of debris with her. As one of the largest pieces was pushed to the side the pair of them looked at one another and then back down. 

"Y/N... we've got you kid" Tony placed his hand on the side of Y/N's face, his suit deploying a nanotech helmet that closed around Y/N's head. 

**

Nat didn't know how long they had been sat there in silence, in some ways it didn't really matter. There was nothing she could do now that would be able to help her or Wanda. She looked over at Ava who had managed to not say anything sarcastic or insulting since they had left the facility, which Nat was slightly shocked about. 

"Whose that?" Ava suddenly asked her attention drawn back to the front of the jet. 

Looking over Nat saw the glowing figure approaching their jet and for the first time since the explosion she managed a small smile when she realised that it was Carol. Seeing her there made Nat realise just how much she had missed her.