Transportation

You waited impatiently at the front door with all of your belongings packed tightly in two suitcases. You had no idea who it was that was coming to pick you up, but it'd take you far, close to the walls. You were never really able to go next or even close to the wall. Your mother always told you it wasn't safe, yet now you're going to live and work right there.

But you knew deep down your mother would prefer you do this then rot away and die of bad living conditions in your house.

You just hope she forgave you about how you turned out. A slob, whose whole life relied on a murderer you were in love with.

Maybe this was a chance to get over all of these feelings, going to the walls and working with new people, you'd maybe even make friends, and move over Sammy.

Plus as boring as "protecting the walls" sounded, it's not like working at a grocery store was entertaining either.

You pushed all self doubt to your unconsciousness as all that lingered on your mind was starting a new life as a scout.

You checked the clock in your living room before sighing, noticing you were three hours early. But it's not like you had anything else to do, so you sat near the front door to your house, knees tucked up to your chest as you rested your head against your knees.

As tired as you were, you forced yourself to stay awake, so you wouldn't miss the bus that would arrive in hours. The lack of sleep you've gotten for a while now lays on your well being all the time. Even blinking makes you want to fall into a deep sleep and never wake up.

~

"Beep" you heard a bus horn as your body shuttered awake, quickly getting up, almost falling back down from the fast movement. You grabbed onto your suitcases as you flung the door open, locking it behind you before waiving at the driver.

You stuffed your keys into your pocket as you stumbled to run towards the bus with both of your suitcases.

"(Y/n), (l/n)?" The driver asked as you felt the weight of the luggage's weighing your body down.

"Yes sir" you responded as he nodded before turning around.

"Next to the girl with reddish hair." He grumbled as you flicked your tongue at the mans expression. He definitely sounded like he hated his job.

You spot the girl who was bouncing up and down in her seat before dragging your bags behind you.

"Hi!" She said excitedly as you placed your luggage's on the rack above your head next to the girls.

"Hi..." You said wondering why the girl was so excited. You were sure the people on this bus would become scouts as well, and no person who has a good life would even consider becoming a scout.

"The names sasha!" She said as she pat the seat next to her, signifying for you to sit down.

"You live really far out in the fields. I'm the same! Living on the farm and being able to hunt is so fun." She smiled as you shook your head.

"I don't know how to hunt.... my house is just a small house in the middle of nowhere. It's not a farm." You said as this girl probably had a different idea of what your day to day life was.

"Oh. Well I like to hunt! We should hunt together. But I get all the meat we catch." She smiled as you felt more comfortable around her, her energy made you feel a sense of happiness.

"You can hunt and eat animals?" You asked, not thinking this young girl your age was able to actually hunt and kill. It was impressive.

"Yep, lived up north all my life. My dad taught me." She said as she put a hand on the buses window. You watched as she tapped it lightly.

"What brought you to want to become a cadet." She asked as she turned from the window to face you.

"It's been hard. I lost my mom, my dad left and I had to drop out of school to work. Then my girlfriend left, so basically I got fucked in the ass by everyone I still had in my life." You told her honestly, the ability to be open with a girl that seemed so nice was just so relaxing.

"I'm sorry to hear that." She looked into your eyes as you knew you were trying not to cry, pushing everything down because crying doesn't solve anything.

"It's alright." You kept your composure as you swallowed hard.

"What about you?" You asked hoping to get the topic of discussion off of you.

"Well my family usually savages the food we get from hunting for the winter, but I decided to eat the supply my dad was storing. My dad probably couldn't stand how much of our families supply of food went into my stomach." She giggled.

"Well, we're both here for some money and place to get fed and live, right?" You asked, trying to look at the bright side. You thought this bus would be with suicidal people that hated everything.

Well, you shouldn't be talking.

But this was something to look forward to. As well as finding the answers to your mothers death. You were determined to get answers some way or another.

"Yeah." The girl smiled as she leant her head against the window, you hearing her head bob up and down against the window every time the bus went over a bump. Doesn't she have a headache?

You looked around the bus, recognizing absolutely nobody on the bus with you. You all seemed to be about the same age. The youngest person you saw was a boy that looked to be about 14. So young yet going to such a place. It felt like jail.

Many of the people on the bus were sleeping, who knows how far this bus ride will be. You wondered who was the first person to get on the bus, and how long it took them to get all the way to your house in this bus.

Sasha had dozed off as you decided to do the same, especially since you were still tired from being awoken by the bus at your house.

You laid your head back on the back of the seat, the backrest being uncomfortable as hell, you closed your eyes, trying not to focus on how terrible these seats felt on your ass, and how much of back pains the backrest would cause. But you had to get used to it.