ix.

For me being a 24 year old girl, you'd think I'd have a lot of freedom right? wrong. I had the lecture of a lifetime as soon as I tried to sneak into my house the very next morning. I didn't even wake marco up when I left, I just knew I had to get home before my mum was up. She always drew up the worst conclusions possible when I wasn't home. Once when I was just 19, I went to the Mandela stadium with some of my friends to watch a football game. My mum thought I went out to get drunk and party, I explained to her time and time that I wasn't like that. I rarely get drunk and when I did (one time mind you) I was in good care of my sister.

"what would people think when they see running around with someone like him."

"someone like what mum?" I asked. "someone that's not African? is that what your trying to say?"

"yes it is." She answered without a slight of guilt or trying to cover it up.

"I am 24. I can make my own decisions." I threw my hands up in the air.

"24 and still living with her parents?" My mum said. "Adisa, you should be married with at least 1 child by now."

"sorry if I don't work that way." I rolled my eyes.

"that's it." My mum said. "you are coming with me to Josana's house. You and Felix will talk this out. I will not watch you mess up your life over some American boy."

"okay first of all, Felix and I are through and second Marco's German, from Germany not America."

"and do you think he will ever love you?" My mum sighed. "Addie, those type of people aren't for us. They don't see us as equals and they will treat you rotten. you are meant to be with a African man."

yup. The stinger was there. It felt like I've been slapped a thousand times by reality. she was right, marco and I have nor will we ever have a future together. we were like water and oil, they never mixed well.

**********************

Felix's mum, Josana and my mother were best of friends, so you'd guess how happy and joyful they were when they found out that Felix and I were together only to be met with disappointment when I ended things with him. I just never felt the spark with him, maybe a little was there when we first got together but it soon vanished.

Felix and I, known eachother since we were 2 years old. You can guess we grew up together and knew everything about eachother. Many people were correct when they always thought we'd end up together. They just were wrong about us being together for the rest of our lives. He wasn't my best friend but he was always around in my life.

"Adisa, enough with this nonsense." My mother said as all 4 of us sat in their family living room.

"I'm not even going to talk to you anymore." I had my phone in between my all hoping marco would call up any second and maybe rescue me from this.

"You are almost 25 and unweded and childless."

as if he read my mind, my phone buzzed and his number flashed across the screen. my mother seemed to notice and her eyebrows arched up.

"Is that the boy?" She asked.

"no." I lied.

"Give me the phone." She stretched her hands out.

The phone was still going off in my hands as Felix who was quiet and his mum watched us. She gave me one of those looks that every mother seemed to have. I sighed before handing the phone into her palms.

"hello?" She said. "no no, Adisa is not available right now, Marco."

my heart sanked as I watched in horror what my mother was doing.

"no, she's with her fiancé felix right now. But I'll tell her you called."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++