Chocolate Cake

I followed Jonathan down the stairs and into the kitchen. It was clean from everything that we ate and used for breakfast. Jonathan went to a cabinet and pulled out a checkered, red and white, recipe book. He started flipping through all of the pages, looking for something specific. When he found the recipe he set the book on the counter and gestured me to come over and look at it. When I looked at the recipe I saw that it was a chocolate, cake recipe. IT looked small, but the center would melt when you cut it open. 

   " Is this okay? "

   " Yeah, what do you need me to get? "

   " If you'll grab the dry ingredients I'll get the wet ones. "

I nodded and looked at what I needed to get. 

   ' Flour, sugar, and baking powder. Okay. ' 

I turned around and walked to one of the hanging cabinets and I started opening them looking for the flower. I never really came into the kitchen that often so I didn't know where everything was. I found the baking powder, and I set the box on the counter. I looked for the flour and sugar, but when I did find it, the bags were sitting on a top shelf. I reached my hand up to get it, but I couldn't reach it. 

   ' You know I should have expected it to be on the highest shelf possible. I live with giants. '

I felt a hand on my shoulder, and I looked behind me to see Jonathan was standing behind me.

   " Let me grab it. "

I walked to the side, with Jonathan's arm around my shoulder, and he grabbed the bag of flour with one hand. He set it on the counter before reaching the sugar and doing the same. All while he kept an arm around my shoulders.

   " Thanks. "

I stepped back to the main counter and saw that he got out milk, eggs, and chocolate chips. He walked beside me to the counter and opened a drawer bringing out measuring cups. I started reading over the recipe and measuring the ingredients. I followed the recipe with Jonathan's guidance. Whenever I had a question he would answer, and continue explaining why we did some of the things we did. I poured the flour into a bowl with a heated chocolate mixture and Jonathan said he would stir it.

   " I can do it. There's no way to mess up stirring something. "

   " I know but I haven't helped you at all besides getting ingredients. " 

   " Yes, but I'm the one learning to bake. "

   " But I want to help. "

Jonathan came up behind me and grabbed the spoon and bowl. He started stirring the mixture with my body still pressed against his. His body was huge compared to mine. He stirred the mixture in the bowl, without so much as pushing me into the counter or making me feel squished between him and his arms. It felt warm and comfortable. When he was finished he stepped back and smiled down at me. We continued cooking the dessert and when we placed the small cakes in the oven I started cleaning the kitchen. I put the flour and sugar on a lower shelf so I could reach it next time. Jonathan started washing the utensils that we used, and I helped dry them. 

   " Have the others talked to you about the ball? "

   " Joseph told me about it. "

   " And? What do you think? "

   " I'll go, but what is it for? Joseph said he would ask Giorno but after the arguing last night, I don't think he will now. "

   " I think it's to celebrate their anniversary of being together, but that could also be a ruse. They might be holding it so they can catch someone, and they know he'll show up. "

    " Then why go if you know there's danger? "

   " Because he needs it to look like an actual celebration. People from all over will be attending and he wanted us to be there, and incase something does happen we have his back. "

   " I see. He just wants an extra pair of eyes. "

   " Yes, that why. And all he needs us to do is look for someone and when we find him, we just have to tell him where we are. Besides that we are free to dance the night away. "

   " So, it's either a search party or a simple ball? It's probably the latter. "

   " Yes, but it will be fun to go to! " He said optimistically. 

I sat down on a chair at the counter and Jonathan stood in front of me with his arms crossed. He leaned against the counter behind him and our eyes connected. His eyes were bright and seemed to be full of happiness. It was like he was a ball of energy that was always happy, but it could turn into seriousness when it needed to. 

   " How are you always so happy? "

   " What do you mean? "

   " I mean, you always smile, and your eyes look so happy all the time. Teh only time I've seen that happiness go away is when you needed to be serious, but it's like ut was still there in the back of your eye. "

   " Oh. . .I guess it's because of my philosophy. I stand by the philosophy that there is always something good in everything. "

   " Everything? "

   " Everything. There will always be something, even if it's small, positive about everything and everyone. There's always something. "

   " That is very optimistic. "

   " Not a lot of people smile anymore, and when they do it's never real. A genuine smile is hard to come by these days because of all the things that happen. So I look on the brighter side of things so I can keep smiling and being happy. Of course I have my moments, where I break but I always come back together. "

   " You're very strong Jonathan. I admire that. "

   " You are too. Don't just compliment me, you should compliment yourself. "

   " I'm good with just complimenting you. "

I could see a blush make its way to Jonathan's face and he looked away. The alarm went off saying that the cakes were done. Jonathan opened the oven and started taking out the cakes. When they were all out he took a knife and circled the rim. Then he placed a plate on top of it and flipped it over. The cake fell onto the plate, and when he took the small dish off the cake looked perfect. He took them all out like that and I took a butter knife and cut through the cake. Chocolate poured out of the middle and onto the plate. 

   " That looks so good. "

A fork cut through a piece of the cake and Jonathan held the fork up to my mouth. I hesitantly open my mouth and he put the fork in my mouth. I took the cake off the fork and it tasted delicious.

   " We did a good job Jonathan. "

   " Yes, it came out perfect. " 

Jonathan took the same fork back and cut another piece of the cake off and put it in his mouth. My mind screamed at me that it was technically an indirect kiss, but I dismissed the screaming in my head and focused on my cake in front of me.