Chapter 60

In the silence of the dark night, the clouds parted in the sky, like ink dispersing on a page, revealing a round, full moon like a precious treasure.

The small courtyard was filled with silver light, and the nighttime colors gradually calmed and stilled.

Ye You had changed into a black robe and was sitting on the stone bench in the courtyard, unhurriedly twirling a chess piece in his hands. Lady Tao was sitting across from him and was staring at the chessboard under the moonlight. After pondering for a while, she set down a piece. The corners of Ye You’s mouth twitched, as if he had already anticipated such a move, and he followed immediately with another one.

Lady Tao stared for a moment and said, “I fell for your trick again.”

Ye You said, smiling, “If I purposely let you win, wouldn’t I just be making you angry?”

Lady Tao said, “You could not let me see it happen.”

Ye You was willing to concede to her words and said, “All right, then I’ll let you win the next game.”

Lady Tao refused to comment, focusing entirely on playing this game to its conclusion. In the end, when they finished, she found that she had lost by only half a point. She then understood that Ye You had originally been letting her win at the beginning, and sure enough, he hadn’t let her see it happen. She immediately let out a helpless sigh. “You really are…”

Ye You said, “What?”

A voice came from nearby, “Really are someone who invites too much hatred.”

As this voice fell, Qin Yuemian stepped in from the moon gate[1], smiling as he walked towards them.

Following Ye You and Wenren Heng’s plans, he had gone, early in the morning, to find Lady Tao to drink tea. After mentioning Ye You with a few words, he successfully managed to invite this beauty out, and under the envious stares of the crowd, he and Lady Tao went down the mountain to play. In addition, the Demonic Sect Elders had long already received the Sect Master’s orders and had sent Elder Mei and Elder Bai to the small county town to receive them. Those two people had then replaced them to return to Shaolin.

He had originally thought it would’ve been Elder Mei disguised as Lady Tao and Elder Bai disguised as him, but he quickly discovered that he had been too naive. This kind of Demonic Sect had let Elder Bai change into Lady Tao and had Elder Mei change into him. When he asked, the answer he received was that Elder Bai’s martial skill was high and so could easily fight back.

He silently followed their departure with his eyes, and only after a long while did he say, “Was that the main issue?”

The main issue was that a fully-grown man was disguised as a woman, even sporting an appearance as if not yet fully awake. Were they really not afraid of being exposed? And could Elder Mei not use such feminine hand gestures[2] while using his face?

Lady Tao said, “They’re always like this. There’s no need to worry. When it comes to the big things, they’re always very reliable.”

Qin Yuemian said, “They won’t be recognized?”

Lady Tao said, “They probably won’t. Disguise is their specialty. Just now, it was because there wasn’t anyone else around that they didn’t put on an act.”