Chapter 13

TN: So I was informed that apparently 魔頭 is actually not a wuxia term and actually does just mean monster/villain! So all instances of “Demonic Head” has been changed to either “monster” or “villain”, depending on the context. Thanks, penhappy!

EDIT: I’m also changing all instances of “Sect Master Ge” to “Academy Master Ge”. Reasons will be given at the beginning of the next chapter.
__________

From the beginning, Ye You and Wenren Heng thought that the poisoner wanted to attract people to Suzhou, though they weren’t clear about the opposing party’s true intentions. But now, they knew.

Wenren Heng said, “Dingtian Academy and the Wang family residence are separated by only a river, and you also have a good relationship spanning many years. When the Wang family residence was full, some of the men moved out to live in an inn or to Dingtian Academy itself. And since those friends brought their own friends along, recently there must be many people living there.” After he finished explaining, he looked at Academy Master Ge and asked, “Academy Master Ge, you previously gave the suggestion to move everyone to the Wang family’s other residence. Besides suggesting it for the sake of Elder Wang, you were also trying to get people out of Suzhou, right?”

Academy Master Ge stiffened. After a short moment, as if unloading a great burden from his shoulders, he gave a soft sigh. “I’m not worthy of Sect Master Wenren.”

That certainly counted as admitting to it.

But, speaking up to this point had already made it very clear.

Dingtian Academy was quite strong. Although they weren’t counted amongst Jianghu’s top ten, they were easily within the top twenty. Ordinarily, sneaking in and stealing something would be very difficult, but if a big incident was manufactured and outsiders were set inside Dingtian Academy in order to introduce chaos, then the matter would become simpler by many degrees.

Although the Wang family had already left Jianghu, Elder Wang still commanded ample respect, so he was the most suitable person for the role. When the time came and everyone’s attention was on the Wang family, the poisoner could sneak into the Academy to search or perhaps even find an opportunity to live in the Academy itself.

When Ye You saw written on that strip of paper that Dingtian Academy had encountered thieves, he was finally able to guess this additional layer.

Of course simply guessing correctly wasn’t enough. They also had to find a way to enrage Elder Wang so that he’d show his face and clear up the circumstances. The poisoner naturally could not show up with evidence to confront Elder Wang, and following the matter last time, the Wang family residence had increased its patrols, so it became much too inconvenient to post any more announcements. The longer this situation lasted, the more unfavorable the circumstances, so that person would wait only a few more days for nightfall to take another risk and show his hand. But unfortunately he was obstructed by Academy Master Ge.

Wenren Heng asked, “You didn’t catch him?”

Academy Master Ge said, “He escaped.”

Manor Lord Wei looked at Academy Master Ge. His usual friendly expression seemed to have a trace of heaviness. Wearing an air of dignity somewhat like that of a high-ranking personage, he asked, “You knew from the beginning?”

Academy Master Ge shook his head. “I simply had some suspicions but no evidence.”

Wenren Heng slowly stroked his tea cup. He didn’t speak again, simply waiting for Manor Lord Wei’s reaction.