Chapter 23

The map was split up into a total of six pieces, and a number was written on each of the upper right corners. When the person said to follow in order, they were referring to this.

Those who were smart like Wenren Heng and Ye You had to think for only a moment before understanding the opposing party’s intentions — if the map was in only one person’s hand, then they might secretly send their subordinates ahead, so that by the time everyone hurried over, the place would be empty, and so if the map was split and they didn’t bother to work with the others, then they wouldn’t know where exactly to go.

As for who would hold the map, everyone discussed it for a spell, and for the sake of fairness, they decided to pick lots to decide. But very quickly, there was someone who brought up an issue, “The first ones will wait, but what if after waiting to go through the first five pieces, the sect member holding the last piece goes ahead to steal the book. Then wouldn’t we have come all this way for nothing?”

Everyone else agreed in succession, “That’s right.”

The Alliance Leader said, “Then how about this, when it gets down to the final piece, every day, two people will eat and sleep with that person. With everyone rotating the duties, there’d be no opportunities to pass down orders to subordinates.”

Everyone thought for a bit, and none had any other ideas, so the only thing they could do was agree for now.

They then went up to pick lots, and in the end, it was the miserable Academy Master Ge who got the final piece. He immediately wrinkled his brows, thinking that this time better not be yet another trick. Or else if nothing is found and everyone ended up thinking that he was the one who took the opportunity to steal it away secretly, what could be done?

He gave a bitter laugh and asked, “Can I refuse it?”

Everyone present was experienced, so no one was willing to take this hot potato, and even if someone wanted to take it in their hearts, they wouldn’t openly admit to it. Academy Master Ge was also simply asking without expectations. Whatever the case may be, this map had already passed through his hands, so if they ended up finding nothing, suspicions would fall on him regardless, so he might as well keep a hold of it.

Wenren Heng also got picked. It was one of the numbers in the middle so there was not much danger.

The sky began to darken, and everyone looked in front of them at the miserable scene of a big hole packed with little holes. They tidied up the bare minimum and went to the open area next to it to rest a little. Then while there was still the advantage of light to see the road, they decided to walk for a bit according to the map.

These pieces of the map were the same as the leather that was first found; they all followed a route to relay their information, such as first walk forward two and a half kilometers, turn southeast for five kilometers[1], and so on. The actual distance wasn’t written that clearly, so perhaps it was yet another consideration from the person who left the book.

Pavilion Master Ding was the one who held the first piece of the map.

He had a solemn character and especially hated such deceptive and mystifying tricks, so he simply threw it to his people in “Moon’s Shadow”, completely disinclined to look at it further.

And since they’ve learned from their mistakes, everyone couldn’t help suspecting the possibility of another circular path, so they walked very carefully. Anytime they found that they were walking farther away from the bottom of the cliff, they would let out a breath of relief, but anytime they found a tendency to head in the direction whence they came, they became extremely tense. Their hearts continually moved up and down, so when they stopped to rest, all of them were emotionally and physically drained.