Chapter 19

Juan County[1] is one of the south’s small county seats.

The place was neither big nor rich, but the people lived simple and honest lives, and so there have never been any large upheavals. However, in the past few days, the county magistrate had been suffering from an aching head. Ever since a crowd of people from Jianghu arrived in the county, he had been unable to get a good night’s sleep. So afraid was he of something happening that even his dreams were filled with scenes of blood shining upon the sky.

“Why are there more and more people? What exactly are they planning on doing?” The county magistrate’s hair was falling out, strand by strand, as he worried, and black shadows were clearly visible under his eyes. He paced irritably back and forth. “Haven’t you asked around yet!”

“Responding to master, we’ve asked around, ” the servant said, “It’s said that they’re here to search for hidden treasure, and there was also something about a living dragon.”

The county magistrate fumed. “Hidden treasure? Living dragons? Are you an idiot to believe such things!”

The servant acted as agreeably as possible, not daring to actually speak.

The county magistrate also didn’t have any hope that the other could say anything useful and returned to irritably pacing back and forth.

At this moment, the Alliance Leader’s party was sitting in Juan County’s best inn.

After the number of people increased, the group’s expressions all turned extremely grave.

It was hard to determine whether this trip was for good or ill, and some of those whom they’ve kept in the dark were being unreasonable, so now their own numbers were small. If something really did happen and that crowd of outsiders was agitated by someone with certain ambitions, they fear that, when the time comes, the situation would get out of control. So after a round of discussion, they decided to first find a place to stay, send some news home, and wait for more of their own people to arrive, so that they’d have some more reliable footing and confidence.

After the news was sent out, the first to arrive were Dingtian Academy and the Wang family’s people. Now, the inn was guarded by them both inside and out, so discussions were very convenient.

The Alliance Leader sat at the head of the table, wrinkling his brows. “What does everyone think?”

Pavilion Master Ding didn’t bother reining in his temper and coldly said, “On that day, there were only a few of us in the study, and the only ones who knew about the cave were also us.”

Manor Lord Wei said, chuckling, “Incredible, old Ding, to start spewing accusations[2] at us the moment you open your mouth. You can’t even be bothered to think. What good would it do for our own people to spread such information outside? Isn’t that right, Alliance Leader?”

“I’m only speaking the truth,” Pavilion Master Ding didn’t even wait for the Alliance Leader to respond and directly interrupted. His tone was ice-cold. “You dare to say that it’s impossible?”

“That’s right, it’s not impossible, but the possibility is incredibly small, unless they absolutely couldn’t stand to see us succeed,” Manor Lord Wei said, “So I think it’s more likely that when we were speaking to our aides or each other, we were overheard by some bystanders. I’ll first speak for myself. These past few days, I’ve spoken only to Jiangyue. I didn’t speak a word to anyone else.”