Chapter 160: Battle of King's Landing (Part 2)

At King's Landing

King's Landing — Guildhall of the Alchemist...

"Get a move on, lads! Keep your eyes open and stay alert!" Ser Lucius led the resistance movement alongside the City Watch's commander Duran. "The buildings give us plenty of cover from those damned scorpions, but it gives the enemy a perfect location to hide!" he ordered.

The days since the occupation began to grow seemingly longer; the sun was barely coming up, yet still things remained the same. Ironborn archers atop the walls and rooftops shot arrows down upon them, those manned the scorpions on the ramparts shot large bolts in the streets—targeting countless civilians and gold cloaks indiscriminately. Ser Lucius and Commander Duran groaned in frustration before they noticed that attached to the one bolt lodging itself into the ground tip had three to four jars tied to it with green liquid substance leaking out of them and had an enflamed cloth wrapped around it before igniting in a near-instant fury.

"Wildfire!" Commander Duran realized. "GET DOWN!" he yelled.

KABOOM!

Most of the central plaza near Cobbler's Square went up with a whoosh; the force of the explosion knocked Ser Lucius and Commander Duran off their feet, sending them flying backwards, but the heat of those ominous dark green flames quickly ensnared those unfortunate enough to be standing too close to it. Civilians and gold cloaks alike screamed as the explosion travels through the streets, incinerating any in its path. It didn't go far enough, though, but more ironborn manning the walls shot more into the streets as local resistance fighters picked up their own bows and arrows and started returning fire; as the streets burned, the screams got louder.

Hidden from one of the numerous alleyways, a red-cloaked female kept her hood up. Vaeraleah, having managed to sneak past the guards, did her best to keep a low-profile and remained out of sight before pressing onwards closer to Aegon's High Hill.

Burning buildings quickly crumbled. Ser Lucius pushed a fallen wooden beam off him; the elderly Kingsguard knight groaned and rose to his feet. Gah! Seven hells, at this rate, we won't be able to reach the Red Keep! This nightmare must end, he understood. "Commander! Have your men disperse into smaller four-man squads and get them into the alleys! Protect the civilians!"

"Protect the civilians!" Duran yelled. "Come on, boys, move it! Watch those bolts!"

"Steer clear of the wildfire!"

"Archers on the roof!"

"It's burning!"

"Keep to the alleys!"

"Everything is burning!"

In the meantime, ironborn raiders manning the ramparts hustle into position – readying themselves for what seemed to be an inevitable showdown. On the streets below, a stream of citizens rushes anxiously in multiple different directions—either fighting back against their occupiers or fleeing the carnage with their children behind them. A building explodes from wildfire, speckling across the burning city and causing a burning avalanche of debris. Plumes of small green explosions chime in small sections, but not enough to cause total devastation while dark and putrid smoke fills the sky.

Sliding through the gates, a Golden Company battalion march out into the open field—swords and spears at the ready, some raising their banner displaying a cluster of gold skulls hanging from a red spear on a burgundy field. Each sellsword lined up in front of and beside each other in an orderly fashion, highly disciplined and composed—the world's largest private sellsword army, whatever remained of it, stood at attention unafraid and ready for the fight that was to come their way. Some of their faces betray their trepidation; acting as their frontline commander, Black Balaq, guides his horse in front of them – along with the Golden Company's archer unit. His eyes are fixed on the distance, where the ground beneath their feet began to rumble. The distant rumbling grows stronger and louder!