Chapter 56: Battle at the Sunset Sea (Part 2)

Daveth and Robb along with their companions surrounded Victarion. As the ships collided and burned around them, the Young Stag examined any potential weak spot that could be exploited as Horn Hill archers shot down ironborn raiders attempting to board the Fury; they never got far, though. Both Randyll and Dickon commanded their men to put up a strong defense with shield towers and spears sticking out the gaps to keep the ironborn at bay. Nearby, more royal expeditionary vessels rammed and sunk Iron Fleet vessels after hitting their sides on both ends.

"So, you've finally shown up, boy. Well, come! My axe is thirsty, and it yearns for your blood!" Victarion proclaimed.

Daveth scoffed, already assuming the knight's dance fighting style. "You'll find that you won't be so fortunate this time."

Not bellowing further bravado, Victarion charged. Daveth and Robb moved to engage the Lord Captain in battle, reinforced by their generals. Together they quickly overwhelmed Victarion before being forced backwards as he spun his axe around to keep himself from getting surrounded. He gripped his axe tightly, giving a small wince which the Young Stag himself noticed. 

"Getting tired already? This fight hasn't even lasted at least five minutes yet."

"Be silent, boy!"

And the worm takes the bait. "Come give it a try, then."

Victarion lunged, but was forced back by Daveth and Robb's blades. Tried as he might to force his axe downwards, he had to quickly withdraw when Stannis and Greatjon Umber moved to outflank him as Rickard Karstark moved to attack from behind. Victarion kicked Rickard in the chest and barely had enough time to halt Stannis' advance before being shoulder tackled by Lord Umber. He stumbled but recovered enough to throw aside Grey Wind as the direwolf lunged and snapped its teeth at him. Lord Karstark seized his moment to take advantage of such distraction to strike Victarion, but only managed to smack his kraken helm. The Lord Captain spun and backhanded the elderly Karstark as Stannis himself moved to stab his unguarded right flank.

"Gah!" Victarion exclaimed, swinging his battleaxe – narrowly missing Stannis as more and more ships began rammed his fleet from the sides.

Daveth and Robb stood with their generals, ready to close in for the kill. But at that moment, both were temporarily blindsided as Yara Greyjoy intervened and jumped aboard the Fury from her ship Black Wind, kicking at their backs and making them stumbling forward. Victarion used this to his advantage and charged, knocking Greatjon, Rickard and Stannis aside before colliding with both Daveth and Robb – knocking them both backwards and flat onto the deck.

"Oof!" both young men grunted.

Victarion panted. "Tired, eh? You boys never learn," he said before noticing his niece. "Go get the prize. And take down as many greenlanders as a token to the Drowned God."

Yara sneered at that last bit, but did as she was told. She had a mission of her own as she threw up grappling hooks to King Robert's Warhammer

Hold on, Theon. I'm taking you home.

Daveth regained his footing and saw Yara climbing aboard his flagship. "Lord Tarly!" he pointed at Yara. "Don't let her get close to the prisoner! Stop her!"

Randyll noticed. "On me, men! Move to intercept!" he began barking orders.

In the cabin of King Robert's Warhammer, Theon remained gagged and chained up – unsure of what fate laid in store for him, but he could hear the battle raging on outside. He scooted over to try to get a good look, but the windows were barred and the door closed. But the noise grew louder and closer to the cabin itself, causing Theon to shift and shudder. Once the doors were forcibly kicked open, Theon saw Yara entering the cabin with several of her crew. "Yara?" he sounded surprised, muffled by the gag.