Chapter 146: Shocking Truths

At Winterfell

Winterfell — Godswood...

Bran sat in his wheelchair facing the godswood. From a few distances away, Jaime watches him hesitantly and slowly walks towards him. He stops a couple feet behind him and looks down; Seven hells, this was going to be as awkward as it would be harder than he thought. The Kingslayer hadn't seen the boy since his miraculous recovery from the fall... an incident he himself started seven years ago. Some part of him suspected no matter what he said, no amount of apology might not be enough to satisfy a possible angry Stark.

"Look, Bran... I'm sorry for what I did to you," Jaime apologized awkwardly.

Bran turns to face him. "You weren't sorry then," he said plainly. "You were protecting your family. 'The things I do for love', remember?"

"I'm not that person anymore."

"You still would be if you hadn't pushed me out of that window. And I would still be Brandon Stark."

Jaime looked confused. "You're... not? What do you mean?" he asks.

"No. I've moved beyond than that now."

"So, you're not angry at me?"

"I'm not angry at anyone."

"Then why didn't you say anything to anyone the moment we arrived?" Jaime asks incredulously.

Bran still maintained eye contact with his former assailant. "You wouldn't be able to help us in this fight if I let my brother murder you first. Not even your own nephew would've saved you from the Northmen—even powerful Kings have their limitations."

"What about afterwards?"

"How do you know there is an afterwards?"

Jaime says nothing and stares at Bran in somewhat disbelief, unsure how to react to this new Bran Stark... or whatever it is he calls himself. Shaking his head, Jaime returned to walk towards the front gates of Winterfell to assist Brienne in motivating the troops for battle.

Winterfell — Library...

Samwell had piled up dozens of books in Winterfell's library. He had heard of Jon returning to Winterfell following the successful Dragonpit Summit between Daveth and Daenerys, bringing with him two of the most powerful leaders in Westeros and the largest army the Seven Kingdoms had ever seen plus two dragons. But he had something else to share with him: the truth of his parentage. However, as he was carrying a pile of books, Samwell wasn't paying attention to his surroundings and ended up bumping into someone. "Oh! Oh, I-I'm sorry," he quickly apologized, trying to pick up the books and other tomes he dropped. Upon looking up, Samwell realized he had accidently bumped into the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard. "By the Gods, y-you're him! The legendary Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, Ser Barristan the Bold. I-I've heard about you. I mean, I've read a lot about your exploits. I never thought I'd actually meet you in person."

Barristan appeared relatively unfazed and even bent down to help the lad, groaning slightly as old age kicks in temporarily. "It's no trouble, lad. I seem to have that effect on young people these days. You're a sworn brother of the Night's Watch?"

"Yes, ser. I came back from the Citadel to learn how to be a maester. Our last one, Maester Aemon, passed away in his bed three years ago."

"And you're not a maester yet?"

Samwell shook his head. "No actually," he replied. "But if you're here, then does that mean...?"

"The King himself is here as well. He's currently overseeing the fortification of Winterfell's defenses with Lord Stark. Why? Do you have an inquiry you'd like to ask him?"