Chapter 36: Confession

―King's Landing―

King's Landing ― City gates...

Sansa Stark rode to the capital along the kingsroad from Riverrun with her handmaiden Shae. Although she was saddened by the passing of her grandfather, Lord Hoster Tully, she reminded herself of her sworn duties as a highborn lady. The royal wedding was around the corner, preparations were being made and word soon arrived that the invited guests were beginning to arrive. As such, Sansa's presence was required. For the occasion, Sansa was dressed in a formal gown completely lined with drop ball sleeves. Gilded and intricate wings resembling maple tree samara seeds fasten her bodices as claps; her carved, golden lion necklace Daveth gave her two years ago was still worn around her neck. The fabric in her woven pattern, combined with the dress's winged sleeves gave her attire the air of a dragonfly itself.

"Do you think people will like it?" Sansa asks.

Shae turns to her mistress, smiling at seeing Sansa's girlish optimism shining as the young woman couldn't hide her excitement. She was getting married to the King, yes, but even so there was a strong bond the Lorathi woman could tell was there. It was something Shae shared with her beloved Tyrion Lannister despite being a lowborn whore now raised to a handmaiden in service of a noblewoman of higher status, especially since Sansa's from one of the more ancient families in Westeros. "I think they will even notice more than that, my lady," she answers. "They know how much their King adores his lady. From what I can tell, the Oathkeeper paid a fortune to ensure the finest silks were made for your wedding."

Sansa smiled and blushed. "Our wedding," she corrected her. "Daveth likes black fabric with crimson leather sleeves and little gold trims."

"He has a very rich grandfather."

"I'm well aware of how wealthy House Lannister is. And I'm... aware of how nasty they can be."

"Yet you've been very careful around most of them. I heard the soon-to-be Dowager Queen is still livid."

"And I still don't understand what I could possibly have done to upset her," Sansa shook her head in bewilderment. "I did what was expected of me, yet somehow it was never enough."

"But Daveth did warn you about her," Shae pointed out.

"He did."

The atmosphere between them had changed uncomfortably when the topic of Cersei Lannister popped up. A long silence lingered for a while as they walked through the Gate of the Gods.

"And yet," Sansa continued, "I've learned a lot. I am a bit of a slow learner, it's true, but I've learned nonetheless."

Shae nodded in approval. "Then you know what you need to do to survive in this city."

The two soon rode to the nearest checkpoint, where a couple City Watchmen were waiting for them... led by one man in particular.

"Welcome back to King's Landing, Lady Sansa," Petyr greeted her. "We all mourn the loss of your grandfather, Lord Hoster Tully."

Sansa looked at Petyr, eyeing him up and down as she dismounted. "Lord Baelish—" she tried to speak.

"Petyr," he interrupted.

Sansa felt uncomfortable. "Petyr," she finally said. "House Stark and House Tully appreciate your kind words. Though I do not know exactly how you learned of my grandfather's passing."

"My father was a longtime friend of his during the War of the Ninepenny Kings. It was how I came to be fostered at Riverrun in the first place, remember?"