Chapter 113: The Oathkeeper Strikes Back

―At King's Landing―

Red Keep ― Royal Gardens...

Myrcella and Tommen played a round of cyvasse in the gardens while Ser Jaime watched them both. The Kingslayer watched with amusement as his 'niece' dominated her youngest brother, often asking for advice on how to gain any footing—which she teased. During her stay in Dorne, she learned how to play from Trystane; and like their eldest brother, she's proven herself to be a quick learner.

"How do you do that, 'Cella?" exclaimed Tommen.

"Tee-hee, that's for me to know and you to figure out, little brother," teased Myrcella.

Jaime continued observing their play; but a distinctive sound of bushes rustling snapped him out of it. As a Kingsguard, his primary duty was guarding the royal family of Westeros. Any who might go after them, he would immediately respond.

"What was that?" Tommen heard.

Myrcella heard it too. "I don't know. But I've got a bad feeling about this..."

Jaime maintained a firm grip on the handle of his sword, senses on high alert. "Come on out now," he called. "You're terrible at trying to sneak up on us like this. Show yourself and maybe I'll be a bit lenient."

Both Myrcella and Tommen looked at each other; they now knew something was wrong. Knowing that there'd be no sense in relying on stealth, Jaime observed 12 Sparrows emerging from the bushes and outer columns of the gardens—all of them armed with clubs and rods.

"Ser Jaime of House Lannister," one observed. "Knight of the Kingsguard, you are hereby ordered to stand aside. Lower your weapons and you won't be harmed."

"Kingslayer."

"Oathbreaker."

"A man without honor."

Jabbed at and insults hurled in his direction, Jaime noticed some of the Sparrows starred at Myrcella and Tommen in a threatening manner, and that did not make him back down. Like Seven hells I will, he growled. "You don't make demands here. Turn around and walk away."

"We brothers of the Holy Faith don't have the authority to do so. And you don't have the authority to order us."

"I don't think you comprehend the gravity of the situation," a voice called out.

Jaime, Tommen and Myrcella turned to see Daveth and Trystane arriving on the scene in the nick of time—both of them were armed. The Young Stag removed the strap around his shoulder and gripped Robert's war hammer tightly in both hands despite the bludgeoning weapon's weight; Trystane, the heir to Dorne, steadily unsheathed his rapier.

"Trystane!" she called out.

"Stay behind me," he called out.

Before either Myrcella or Tommen could move, the Sparrows moved in closer.

"You harbor sinners and abominations, Oathkeeper," one Sparrow proclaimed. "You disgrace your house and yourself."

Daveth gave a menacing glare. "Ser Jaime," he said. "The Sparrows have absconded with the heir to Highgarden, Ser Loras Tyrell. These fanatics here used one of their own as a distraction while his comrades here moved in to do the same with Princess Myrcella and Prince Tommen. Divide and conquer."

In that instant, Jaime unsheathed his sword as the Sparrows readied themselves for a bloody conflict. But neither the Kingslayer nor Young Stag seemed to care as Myrcella and Tommen gathered closer to their nearby protectors. "Well, that was all I needed to hear," he remarked coldly. "Try to tear our family apart, and you'll be shown no mercy. Now get out."