Chapter 9: Preparations for the Hand's Tourney

Daveth was in his bedchamber, sitting in front of his desk writing letters. To his left sat a pile of history books, to his right laid a pile of documents he had been working on to be sent out later. Ever since his father announced a tournament was going to be held, Daveth tried his hardest to bring down the costs and called in additional favors with his group of anonymous contacts. Ever since returning to King's Landing, he felt a sense of relief to be back in his known element. Work, work, work, and more work. The Crown Prince's days at court was never done.

As he put the final touches on the paper, Daveth took a moment to look it over.

"To the noble lords and ladies of Westeros,

You are hereby invited to attend the royal tournament at the capital city of King's Landing in honor of the appointment of Eddard of House Stark, Lord of Winterfell, Lord Paramount and Warden of the North as Hand of the King at the will and word of His Grace Robert of the House Baratheon, the First of His Name, King of the Andals and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm.

Prizes for the winning champion of the joust competition include 40,000 gold dragons, with the runner-up being awarded 20,000. The champion of the melee competition will be given 20,000 gold dragons, and the champion of the archery competition will be granted 20,000.

All necessary arrangements have been made. Seats and quality items, along with food, drinks and entertainment will be provided to visiting dignitaries, their knights and their squires by the Master of Coin.

Seven blessings to all.

Signed,
Crown Prince Daveth Baratheon · Heir to the Iron Throne"

Not saying anything, Daveth calmly folded the paper and sealed it with wax, stamping it with the royal seal of House Baratheon. He sighed and set it aside, still weary from today's work... and, of course, his argument with the King.

ooOoo

"I will not hear another word!" King Robert shouted. "If there's going to be a tournament, there will be a tournament!"

"The Crown is already deeply in debt to many creditors. To grandfather, the Iron Bank..." Daveth argued. "And you still plan to plunge the realm deeper into debt? We simply cannot be able to afford it, nor are we in a capacity to repay it, Father."

"You think I don't know that, boy? I know I'm half a kingdom in debt to your bloody grandfather, Tywin Lannister! And you will watch yourself with me, boy. You might be my son and heir, but you're still speaking to the King."

"Be that as it may, you still neglect your duties and responsibilities. Instead, you pass them off to the Small Council, to me, to Jon Arryn..." he abruptly stopped arguing and briefly took a moment to compose himself, his face showing a brief sense of hurt.

Robert's tightened face loosened, hinting at what Daveth's words meant. "I know it seems rather unfair, and I know how much Lord Arryn meant to you. He fostered Ned and I as children at the Vale, remember? Never had much to teach me, but at least he did right by you. Spoiled you rotten, I'd think. But I somehow knew you were happy."

"The only time. Before Lannisport... Forgive me, father. I know I shouldn't speak out like that."

"Bah! Let that go, and make plans for the tournament already," Robert quickly dismissed.