Chapter 28: Battle of the Blackwater (Part 1)

—At Harrenhal

The assembled Stark, Lannister and Tully host gather at the Great Hall of Harrenhal discussing strategy. Seated at the table were the great lords and their generals. At the head of the table sat Lord Tywin Lannister, next to him stood his brother Ser Kevan Lannister. Across from him stood Robb Stark, accompanied by his mother, his direwolf Grey Wind, Talisa Maegyr, Theon Greyjoy, Ser Rodrik Cassel, Lord Roose Bolton, Lord Greatjon Umber, Lord Rickard Karstark, his uncle Edmure Tully and his great-uncle the Blackfish. They had been arguing for hours once they received word of the renegade Tyrell fleet led by Ser Loras was rapidly closing in on King's Landing with 28,000 men – outnumbering the city's 9,000 defenders.

"King's Landing will fall an hour after the Knight of the Flowers lands his force," spoke Kevan. "It's not too late for King Daveth and the court to ride west to safety."

"Surrender the Iron Throne?" inquired Tywin.

Robb shook his head. "No. Daveth's not the kind of person who'd simply retreat and leave his holdfast undefended. If anything, he'll be more likely see this through to the very end."

"You think it's the better alternative, boy?" Kevan said.

That made the Young Wolf angry as Grey Wind began to growl. "Don't call me boy, Lannister. You'll find that we northerners are more than a match for any southern soldier."

"Winter is coming," chimed Greatjon Umber and Rickard Karstark.

"Winter is coming," joined in Rodrik, Theon and the other northern lords.

Tywin had to give the Young Wolf credit for courage and the willingness to fight, even if the boy had lacked actual combat experience since his assembled lords are seasoned veterans advising him.

"My father is the Hand of the King, both my sisters are at the capital," Robb continued. "And Daveth has been my friend since we were children. So long as he reigns, the North will always stand ready to assist."

"Your bannerman, the Mountain, wreaked havoc across our home for a long time, Lannister. The Oathkeeper has done more for us during the past year," Edmure said. "The Riverlands stands with King Daveth as well."

One of Tywin's bannermen, Lord Leo Lefford stood up sharply. "And need you forget that the Westerlands also supports King Daveth considering his familial ties?" he shouted. "His mother is the daughter of our lord!"

"I heard Cersei and her son are not on good terms as they used to be," mocked Edmure.

Others stood quickly, a fight looking ready to break out.

"ENOUGH!" roared Tywin.

Tensions briefly subsided.

"Brother," Kevan spoke finally. "As talented as the Oathkeeper may be, the numbers are not in his favor. The Knight of the Flowers outnumbers his forces nearly three-to-one. Better for him to fall back for now than let us see his head, Cersei's head and the other courtiers' heads mounted on the city gates. From what the scouts in the Stormlands tell us, Ser Loras Tyrell will plan to execute them all."

"No, a King who runs will not be King for long. My grandson is a smart lad and a skilled warrior. He's a Lannister. He'll stand and fight."

"At least we finally agree on something," Robb remarked.

Kevan shook his head and Tywin rolled his eyes.

"If I know Daveth... he'll mount a defensive strategy and draw in Loras's forces close enough to be lured into a pincer maneuver on broken ground. Cripple the invaders and reduce their numbers long enough for us to move in and do the rest."