Chapter 64: Old and New Faces

―At Dragonstone―

Stannis had returned to the island fortress of Dragonstone, having made the voyage back to his stronghold. He had a lot on his mind – with the recent decision to imprison his oldest and most trusted supporter, Ser Davos Seaworth, for attempting to assassinate Melisandre in full view of everyone around him and threatening to inform his nephew of everything the red priestess had been doing; he felt indifferent to the Onion Knight's survival. Now having recently returned from war, he ascended the steps in a nearby tower and already had chill reunion with his wife Lady Selyse of House Florent over the visitation of their only child.

"You must keep away from such distractions," Selyse said to dissuade Stannis, but was ignored when he retorted with "She's my daughter. I want to see her."

Having won the argument, Stannis trekked the hallways to the nearest room where he heard singing from the other side of the door. Quietly opening it, Stannis looked upon a young 13-year-old girl lying in bed. His daughter and only living child, Shireen Baratheon, had long dark hair with blue eyes, inherited her father's square jutting jaw and her mother's large ears. Laying her head on a pillow, Shireen hummed a melody.

"The sea I know, I know; Oh, oh, oh," she sang. "The birds have scales; and the fish take wing. I know, I know; oh, oh, oh."

Stannis cleared his throat. "Shireen."

Tilting her head up, Shireen's smile was deep. "Father!" she exclaimed happily. Jumping from her bed, the girl rushed to greet her father and embraced him tightly. Stannis looked down at his daughter, lifting his brow briefly and cleared his throat again. Shireen released her embrace, and stared up at him – her innocent, blue eyes meeting his.

"You've grown since the last time I saw you."

"Mother said you and cousin fought in a battle. The Second Greyjoy Rebellion, the minstrel's been calling it," she stated, escorting her father with her as they both sat down on the bed. "Did you win?"

"Yes."

"Did the Onion Knight come back with you?"

Stannis temporarily froze; his hard, steel blue eyes broke contact at the mere mention of Ser Davos's moniker. "He did," he admitted. "Both he and his son Matthos fought bravely."

"But he hasn't come to see me. He said he'd bring me back a present from the capital once the battle was over."

"He won't be visiting, child."

"Why not? He's my friend," she frowned and stood up, scrounging around in her little box before pulling out a small, wooden boat. "Look. He made this for me. But don't tell mother I have it. It's a secret. Mother doesn't like the Onion Knight."

Stannis examined the toy boat before handing it back. "Ser Davos is a traitor," he firmly yet gently told her. "He's rotting in a dungeon cell for his crime. Best forget him."

"But—"

"We've received a royal summons from your cousin. The trial will take place within a fortnight. Be sure you look presentable."

Shireen lowered her head in sadness, her fingers brushing over the boat Ser Davos made for her as Stannis stood up from the bedside and left the room. Maybe I could convince cousin Daveth to free him... Of course, I'd have to be granted an audience first. "And where's—?"

"Melisandre said she had some business to attend to somewhere in the Riverlands. Best not speak of it again."

Still unconvinced about what her father had told her, Shireen waited until nightfall before she awoke from her early slumber. Grabbing a small pack, she grabbed a few books and slung the bag over her shoulder before making her next move. Slowly pushing the door in her room open, she peered her head out—looking left and right to ensure the coast was clear. Once she was certain all was clear, Shireen quietly snuck out of her room and climbed down the steps of the Stone Drum.