Chapter 8: Arrival at the Capitol

—At King's Landing—

The royal party reaches King's Landing, the capital of the Seven Kingdoms. Home to almost more than half a million people, King's Landing was the largest city in the realm. Crown Prince Daveth Baratheon had already gone ahead of the group en route to the Red Keep via the Gate of the Gods, one of the seven entrances into the capital, all while being greeted by the city's smallfolk and nobles alike. Some extended their warm welcome to the Oathkeeper, others offered their condolences for what happened to his brother Joffrey.

"Look, mother! It's the Oathkeeper!"

"Seven blessings to you, Prince Daveth."

"Welcome home, Prince Daveth!"

"How was your day, my lord?"

"Sorry about your brother, my Prince."

"Oathkeeper!"

"Your family is always in our thoughts, Oathkeeper."

Daveth politely bowed his head at the people coming to extend their greetings whilst remaining on his horse, riding through the streets of King's Landing. "Some things never change," he sighs exhausted.

He soon arrives at the gates to the Red Keep, a patrol of the City Watch bowing before Daveth and they soon open the gates for him. As he dismounts, a royal steward arrives to greet him. "Welcome, Prince Daveth," he says. "Grand Maester Pycelle has already called forth a meeting of the Small Council."

"I see. And the others?"

"They're on their way now, my lord. Shall I tell them to postpone the meeting?"

"That won't be necessary," he shook his head. "It is imperative that the Small Council should not be delayed. I'll go inform them myself."

"Understood."

Before stepping inside, Daveth looks back. "Also, be a good man and extend a proper welcome to the new Hand of the King. He'll be arriving at the main gate shortly with his household guards."

The steward nods. "We'll begin making the necessary arrangements at once, my lord."

Once that business was taken care of, Daveth sets off to the Small Council chambers in the Red Keep's Great Hall. The Small Council was the royal institution which serves to advise the King of the Seven Kingdoms and carry out his commands, helping him to govern the kingdoms. The King chairs the council and takes their advice under consideration, but it is he who has the final word.

Unfortunately, since King Robert Baratheon was more interested in drinking, whoring and hunting, was notoriously uninterested in matters of governance and only attended three meetings throughout his entire seventeen-year reign. As such, Robert let his small council govern the kingdoms – with Daveth often presiding over the meetings in his father's stead these last nine years with the late Lord Hand Jon Arryn advising him. But that was then. An old Hand; an old life. Now the realm had a new Hand of the King, and it was now time to get things underway for Daveth to ensure this one's survival. The court politics of King's Landing can be rather dangerous to the uninitiated after all.

Eddard Stark rode through the towering bronze doors of the Red Keep sore, tired, hungry, and irritable. He was still on his horse, dreaming of a long hot soak, a roast fowl, and a featherbed, when the king's steward told him that Grand Maester Pycelle had convened an urgent meeting of the small council. The honor of the Hand's presence was requested as soon as it was convenient.

The royal steward sent by Prince Daveth arrived to greet Eddard. "Welcome, Lord Stark. The Crown Prince extends his greetings and hospitality. Grand Maester Pycelle has called a meeting of the Small Council. The honor of your presence is requested."