Chapter 131: Awakening the Dragon

At Dragonstone

"Grey Worm and the Unsullied have reached Storm's End, Your Grace," Lysono reported.

"That's... good to hear," Daenerys said, but not before noticing the hesitance in her spymaster's eyes. "Isn't it? What's going on?"

Lysono took a moment before answering. "But we were unable to take it."

"What do you mean? What happened?"

"Half of the Golden Company was decimated. Our commander, Captain Strickland... is dead."

"Dead?"

"The whole thing was a trap," he revealed. "Daveth Baratheon knew exactly where our forces were going. There was only a small token force stationed at Storm's End; not a larger garrison like we expected upon our arrival here. Robb Stark and his armies along with the Young Stag's naval forces cut off our only means to escape and have taken Grey Worm in the progress. Last I checked he's still alive, but he's their prisoner now. Not long afterwards, our men occupying Rain House, Crow's Nest, Mistwood, Greenstone and Griffin's Roost were felled upon by a mob of peasants; local resistance fighters, they call themselves. Any ounce of territory we did manage to take was swiftly reclaimed."

Missandei put a hand to her chest, fearfully thinking of what possible horrors Grey Worm could be possibly enduring right now; Daenerys, on the other hand, shifted her jaw and angrily rose from her seat and stormed off to the shores of Dragonstone. Her advisors followed closely behind her. Now aware of their situation, Daenerys walked along the beaches with Connington, Missandei and Velaryon in tow behind her.

Jaehaegon breathed cautiously; he knows an angry Targaryen monarch was a force to be reckoned with whenever provoked. The Dragon Queen was visibly disappointed, frustrated and displeased with the actions of her choice as Hand of the Queen.

"I'm done sitting here on this island," she proclaimed.

"We still have other options to regain lost ground—" Connington tried to speak.

"What options?"

"Our ships can carry every Dothraki to the mainland. Remain firm in your commitment to the blockade of King's Landing on all sides so our enemies are unable to move about. Our plan remains—"

Daenerys whipped her head to face him. "Our plan? You mean your plan!" she exclaimed incredulously, speaking in a rather harsh tone. "So far your strategies cost us half our infantry and resulted in Grey Worm being Daveth's prisoner. Your strategy led my armies directly into a trap! Perhaps you've no intention on helping me take back the Iron Throne. Perhaps you're more interested in your old grudges."

Connington felt himself growing increasingly insulted with Daenerys lashing out at him—questioning his loyalty and intentions in front of the others. He didn't spend twenty-four years in exile across the Narrow Sea to have his honor questioned nor would he tolerate his loyalty to House Targaryen being thrown in doubt; especially not from a child. His clips curled and thinned. Everyone was silent with the exception of the dragons and waves of the sea washing up on shore. Jaehaegon, meanwhile, pondered if this was what Daenerys was like when she was furious.

"Enough with the clever plans," she turned to look Drogon, Rhaegal and Viserion flying overhead. "What kind of Queen am I if I'm not willing to risk my life for my people? I have three dragons. I'm going to fly them to the Red Keep—"

"You'll end up doing exactly what Daveth wants," Jaehaegon blurted out. He quickly clamped his mouth shut, but it was too late; all eyes were on him now.