Chapter 13: The Wolf and the Lion

Red Keep — Tower of the Hand...

Daveth had been prepping himself all day; he had already spoken with Varys earlier this morning about reports from Essos. When approached on the subject, Varys confirmed to Daveth what his 'little birds' informed him. Father is going to lose his collective mind once word of this reaches him. Best to inform Lord Stark about it before someone else does...

He had already gathered some important documents for this upcoming Small Council meeting. Upon arriving at the Tower of the Hand, Daveth had already passed by Jory and Arya Stark.

"My lord," Jory greeted.

"Ser Jory," Daveth acknowledged. "Arya."

"What can I do for you?"

"I'm here to speak with the Hand of the King. Is your lord available?"

Jory nodded. "He's in his chamber with Ser Yoren of the Night's Watch, my lord, but we've been told to leave them in privacy."

"A Wandering Crow? I take that this Yoren fellow came this far south seeking out recruits for the Watch...?"

"I believe so," Jory said.

Then why have a private discussion with Lord Stark? It doesn't make sense... Regardless, Daveth nodded. "I see. Well in that case, I suppose I could come back later. Good day you two."

Jory and Arya bowed their heads and made their way down the stairs, possibly exiting the Tower of the Hand. Daveth waited patiently for them to leave; now curious, the Crown Prince slowly crept forward and pressed his ear against the door, hoping to listen in to what was going on inside.

"It's about your wife, my lord," someone said. That voice probably belonged to Yoren.

Daveth continued to listen closely; then the ultimate bombshell was dropped.

"She's taken the Imp."

Daveth's eyes widened in surprise before giving way to anger. Uncle Tyrion! Damn it, Cat. What have you done?'

Stepping away from the door, Daveth made his way down the steps and back onto the streets. His choice of destination was the White Sword Tower. Daveth knew trouble was coming; conflict inevitable, but the Crown Prince could only afford to bring someone he could trust other than his uncle Jaime Lannister because the youth knew exactly how the infamous Kingslayer would react. Before he could even approach the front gates, he was spotted by the first Kingsguard knight he could see.

"My Prince," Ser Lucius Blackmyre greeted.

Tall and muscular with greyish-blue eyes and white hair and lined features, Ser Lucius Blackmyre of the Dornish Marches is a grizzled old knight the smallfolk called "the Old Bull" for wearing a bull's-shaped helmet into battle. A formidable warrior, seasoned war veteran with more than 40 years of combat experience and one of the most brilliant military strategists in the Seven Kingdoms, Lucius fought alongside his good friend Ser Barristan Selmy in the War of the Ninepenny Kings against the last of the Blackfyre pretenders, Maelys the Monstrous, on the Stepstones. For his bravery and executing the plan to snuff out Maelys, Lucius was appointed to the Kingsguard by King Aegon V Targaryen.

Lucius went on to serve King Aerys II Targaryen and fought alongside Barristan, Lewin Martell and Prince Rhaegar Targaryen during the rebellion before being defeated by Robert Baratheon at the Battle of the Trident. Impressed with his battle plans and superb prowess on the field, Robert pardoned him upon assuming the throne. Despite his advanced age, Lucius remains surprisingly strong, cunning and graceful and every bit the skilled knight he was in his youth.