Behind the Scenes: Henry Cavill

HENRY CAVILL: "Hi, I'm Henry Cavill and I play Daveth Baratheon the Oathkeeper

When we first meet Daveth in season one, we get a bit of an insight into his relationship with his family. He's the firstborn son and heir to his father King Robert of House Baratheon and his mother Queen Cersei of House Lannister, whose marriage was arranged over seventeen years before the main storyline began. The match was set up after Robert led a successful rebellion against the royal family at the time, which was the members of House Targaryen, to secure a political alliance which is normally traditional in Westerosi society but the pairing itself was nonetheless an unhappy one. It was that sort of hostility and bitter resentment which ended up having some kind of... influence, I guess in shaping Daveth to setting him on the path he would later go on.

He has three younger siblings, his brothers Joffrey and Tommen and a sister Myrcella, all of whom were actually fathered by Daveth's maternal uncle Jaime Lannister. Now the fact it was all kept a secret, no one in the Seven Kingdoms questioned their legitimacy; I mean, even Robert himself believed all four children were his but in actuality only one of them was in fact his. While Daveth was fond of Myrcella and Tommen and was a good older brother and had a hand in raising them, he is not on good terms with his brother Joffrey. In fact, they deeply hated each other and often was the only person in his family to ever discipline him; much to his own mother's disappointment. Daveth and Cersei used to be so close but all that changed in the coming years when Cersei began being harsh and cold towards her son, most of the time for simply no reason at all. I think it was his presence that reminded Cersei of her failed unhappy marriage."

ROBB: "Has [Robert] always been like this?"

DAVETH: "For as long as I can remember. Gods be good, you'd think he'd have some decency as King. Why father believes this gives him the right to do whatever he pleases, I have no idea."

ROBB: "And how does the Queen feel?"

DAVETH: "Mother is absolutely livid about it. It dishonors her, humiliates her. Whenever she argues with father about his... 'adventures'... he hits her."

ROBB: "What kind of King strikes his Queen?"

DAVETH: "A foolish one. When I was a child, I didn't know what was wrong between the two of them. Ignorant as I was, I thought that maybe if I could find a way to fix things... maybe the physical and emotional abuse would stop. Sadly, it didn't work. Father never listened to me, mother didn't appear to like it."

"Now you might think being heir to the throne would actually make someone feel some sort of entitlement, but the truth of the matter is that Daveth had a terrible childhood. When he was eight years old, he was exposed to a life of violence when the Iron Islands rebelled and burned the Lannister fleet at anchor at Lannisport; Daveth just witnessed his friends and countless others be cut down to pieces right in front of him by Euron Greyjoy before Euron took Daveth back to the Iron Islands. There Daveth was routinely subjected to brutal torture such as beatings, whipping, getting his head submerged underwater to the point where he would almost drown every day for almost a year before he was rescued by Ser Barristan Selmy of the Kingsguard, who was also the Lord Commander and would later become Daveth's mentor. Having suffered through so much at that age kind of just... broke him inside. I mean, his innocence was gone. After that he became emotionally withdrawn and detached because of the trauma.