Chapter 91: And Now His Watch Has Ended

—The Wall—

The Wall — Castle Black...

Within Castle Black's main hall, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch Jon Snow tapped his fingers anxiously. Sitting at their tables below him, he had to make some discrete yet also difficult decisions. Days before he had to confide with the ailing Maester Aemon.

ooOoo

"I need your advice," he told him. "There's something I want... no, what I need to do. Something I have to do. But... it'll divide the Night's Watch. Bitterly. Half the men will hate me the moment I give the order."

The 104-year old Targaryen maester's hands shook. "Half the men hate you already, Lord Commander. Do it."

Jon still looked uncertain. "But you don't know what it is."

"That doesn't matter. You do," Aemon countered. "You will find little joy in your command. But with luck, you will find the strength to do what needs to be done. Kill the boy, Jon Snow. Winter is almost upon us. Kill the boy, and let the man be born."

ooOoo

So many decisions, yet the one he had in mind about the captive wildlings which was without a doubt the most controversial – yet only a few of his sworn brothers in the Night's Watch knew. Grenn, Edd, Samwell... they were perhaps the only real friends he had; some were loyal, others were against him such as Ser Alliser Thorne. He might not have been chosen as the new Lord Commander, but that doesn't mean he'll follow orders blindly. But before that, Jon had to make some appointments.

"Take care of Maester Aemon," he whispered to Samwell.

Nearby, Castle Black's guest of honor Lord Stannis watched on. The ruler of Dragonstone had been given permission to observe Snow's tested leadership. Being stern and humorless as he is, Stannis had given Jon a few words of wisdom when the dawn shined through the snowy skies.

ooOoo

"You have many enemies in Castle Black," he told him. "Have you considered sending Alliser Thorne elsewhere? Give him command of Eastwatch-by-the-Sea."

Jon shook his head. "I heard it was best to keep your enemies close."

Stannis, however, disagreed with that statement. "Whoever said that didn't have many enemies."

ooOoo

Jon gave a quick glance at Stannis, letting him know he had thinking about his words closely before looking back at all who attended this meeting. Raising his cup, he gave three loud smacks to get everyone's attention. "Brothers," he began and the conversations ceased. The Night's Watch's Castle Black garrison looked at their Lord Commander. "As you all know too well, it's long past time to dig a new latrine pit."

"Ha ha ha ha!" they all laughed, with the exception of a small dozen.

"First Builder Yarwyck and I have decided to appoint a latrine captain to oversee this crucial task. Brian! Seems like a good job for a ginger."

"Ha ha ha ha!"

Everyone laughed again; some of the men jokingly patted Brian on his back and Brian joined in the laughter as well.