Chapter 118: Bringing Down the Hammer

―At King's Landing―

Red Keep ― Maegor's Holdfast...

Daveth moved several pieces of cyvasse on the board, all whilst keeping a close eye on his son Lyonel and daughter Cassana. So far, the children were being well-behaved with Catelyn playing with her grandchildren. The Young Stag's headache had gone away, but his mind drifted to the conflict with the Sparrows. With the City Watch along with soldiers from the Baratheon and Lannister barracks patrolling the streets and atop the ramparts, the Tyrell and Royce volunteers had blended in the streets to keep a close eye on suspicious activities.

During playtime, however, the Prince tossed one of his toys and hit Cassana on the head—causing her to whine 'eeek' in surprise and held her head. Their grandmother noticed the rough housing and intervened.

"Lyonel, don't throw your toys at your sister," Catelyn firmly told him.

"Sowwy, gwammie," the young Prince apologized, giving sad puppy dog eyes.

Cassana luckily didn't cry, but merely rubbed her head from where one of her brother's toys bounced off. If the Princess was an angel at her age, then Lyonel was certainly being a handful.

"Lyonel," Daveth called to his son, "look at your sister and apologize to her."

He turned to Cassana. "I sowwy."

"I's okie," she replied.

Catelyn nodded in approval. "That's good, children."

The twins resumed playing with their toys. Catelyn and Daveth were pleased that they had already learned their mannerisms and proving to be adept studies. The Young Stag believed if Lyonel and Cassana maintained their progress at this rate, they could one day end up surpassing him. But only time will tell whether or not this might be accurate or exaggerate.

"Is it always like this?" Daveth asked.

She looked at her son-in-law. "It gets challenging the more they grow up, but so far you and Sansa are off to a good start."

"That's... reassuring, mother-in-law. Sometimes I doubt my ability to parent. We're doing everything we can to give them a better life."

Several knocks on the door were echoed.

"Who is it?" the Young Stag called out.

"It's Bodrin, Your Grace," a voice answered on the other side of the door, "and Lord Royce. Our patrons and we wish to have an audience with you. It's rather urgent."

Daveth slowly rose to his feet. Bodrin? He hadn't seen or heard from one of his close informants in over four years since Joffrey's purge of Robert's bastards. Last he heard Bodrin had fled King's Landing into the Riverlands before any form of communication was severed. All this time he thought the old man was dead.

"Come in."

The door pushed open, revealing Bodrin, Yohn Royce and two dark-haired individuals the Young Stag hadn't seen before. Catelyn recognized one of them while Lyonel and Cassana tilted their heads to the side in confusion; who were these strangers?

"Four years, Bodrin. Where have you been?" Daveth mentioned.

"It's a long story, Your Grace," he replied. "But I spent the last year recuperating in Riverrun. Bandits."

"I see."

Yohn stepped forward. "Pardon the intrusion, Your Grace, but our informants have discovered where the Sparrows are hiding. We're beginning a three-phased strategy to bring this minor squabbling to a quick, decisive conclusion as we speak."