Chapter 71: Champions of the Claimant

Red Keep — White Sword Tower...

Overseeing the large white weirwood table, Ariyana Dayne of the Kingsguard sat on the edge of the furniture—trading occasional glances out the window while polishing her family's ancestral longsword Dawn, brushing an oiled whetstone on each side of the blade. A trial by seven had just been declared, and each side was busy gathering their selective champions to fight on their behalf to determine the guilt or innocence of Queen Mother Cersei Lannister and Lord Protector Petyr Baelish. It had been a long time since she had to put her martial skills to work; and there had been murmurs surrounding her of whether the new Sword of the Morning would actually take part in the trial by seven and live up to her family's legacy. There hasn't been another since her uncle, the legendary Ser Arthur Dayne himself.

Tall and already renowned for her great beauty, Ariyana brushed a strand of her long dark hair behind her ear as she maintained a focus on her sword with violet eyes. In the past two years since arriving at King's Landing, she had to work hard to overcome a rather indignant stigma on account of her gender to earn the respect of her male peers. Looking up, Ariyana gazed upon the nearest mirror; clad in gold-enameled armor depicting seven silver swords encircling a golden crown and white cloak. And a noticeable pendant she wore around her neck bearing the sigil of House Dayne—a white sword and a falling star on a purple field. The Sword of the Morning placed the whetstone down onto the table and held the pendant in her hand. Ariyana gently closed her hand around it and held it close to her heart.

"Stars fall, we rise..." she spoke softly. The pendant Ariyana wore around her neck was of more sentimental value rather than one of wealth. Indeed, it was all she had of her past life. Any momentary distraction was disturbed once Ariyana heard the door leading out of the White Sword Tower clicking and its hinges creak. She looked to see Lord Commander Barristan Selmy entering the room. "Lord Commander," Ariyana stood in acknowledgment.

"Ariyana," Barristan replied. "I take it you've heard what had transpired?"

"There is to be a trial by seven; a very rare form of trial by combat though it's not without precedent. Maegor the Cruel was challenged by the Faith Militant, and Ser Duncan the Tall by Aerion Brightflame."

Barristan nodded, impressed by his subordinate's knowledge.

"Has the King asked you to be one of his champions?"

"He has, yes. Ser Lucius, Brienne of Tarth and myself will take part. Horrid practice as it is."

"And what of the Kingslayer?"

"Ser Jaime? He hasn't said a word to anyone yet, though his indecision only makes me question if he takes his vows seriously enough."

"King's blood or no, the man profaned his blade with the blood of the King he had sworn to defend," Ariyana scoffed. "Sometimes I wonder why His Grace ever chose to keep him on."

"Even so, it's still not our place. We swore to guard the King, not to judge him."

"And how many Kings came and went during your time, Lord Commander?"

"Long enough," he confessed. "All I ever wanted was to life a life of honor, to defend a King worthy of service. I burned away my years fighting for terrible Kings, yet a man of honor keeps his vows."

"Even if meant serving a drunk or madman?"

"Even so. I failed the past Kings I swore to protect, but I will not fail to protect this one."

"Because you believe this King is the one worthy of service?" she asked.

Barristan remained firm. "I trained Daveth myself since he was a boy. I might disagree with some of his methods, but I could tell he's learning from his past mistakes."