Chapter 162: Battle of King's Landing (Part 4)

"Run!" someone faintly called out on the streets.

"Go!"

"No!"

"No! Mommy!"

"Vicky! Please!"

"Get back, Nora!"

"Stay in your homes!"

"This way!"

"Stay back! It's closed!"

Red Keep — Daveth's solar...

Connington was observing the battle from one of the castle's main towers; beneath his stone-faced exterior, the griffin of Griffin's Roost was fuming. The royal armies had managed to breach the gates of King's Landing and are now inside the city. But then again, more than multiple traps placed at certain specific locations had already gone off—greatly delaying the main forces' advance. Just a bit longer and it's all over. He remarked. In a real war, it's true the side with the greater numbers win nine times out of ten. But our reports described a slim possibility of us being that tenth factor. It's happened before, it can happen again.

"You won't last once my brother gets— Gah!" Tommen protested, but received a swift punch in the gut by one of the guards.

"Tommen!" exclaimed Margaery and Myrcella.

One of the guards then proceeded to kick the Prince onto the ground and pressed his foot against his head. "You'd be best to keep your mouth shut, boy," he warned. "Our orders were to keep you alive until your brother gets here, but you're REALLY starting to test our patience's limits."

Just then, Lysono pushed his way past them.

"Report," Connington inquired.

"I fear that in addition to the Golden Company being effectively wiped out, the scorpions along the gates have been disabled," the spymaster answered. "In the meantime, my spies have informed me that the Unsullied and Dothraki forces have made their move; they're being led by Grey Worm, but so far we've seen no signs of Queen Daenerys Targaryen or her dragon in the field."

And with our fleets burning in Blackwater Bay, that means our only means of escape have been cut off. "Nevertheless, they'll be keeping the rest of those rabble at bay for a time."

"Lord Connington?"

"Our men will fight harder than any sellswords ever could," he rebutted. "They know not to expect any mercy since the enemy will show them none."

"Understandable."

"The Red Keep has never fallen to anyone. It won't fall today, not ever." Connington then felt something else was seemingly amiss. "Anything else you'd like to share with me?"

"There is one other thing," Lysono mentioned. "King Euron Greyjoy and his niece, Princess Yara have both made contact with Daveth Baratheon. They're engaging him in combat."

He felt a smile creep up on his face. "Already?" he asks.

"Yes, my lord. I'm told that the false King's wounds have still not healed from the battle that took place up north. He'll be at a significant disadvantage."

Sansa perked her head up. Daveth's here... with Euron and Yara? By the Old Gods and the New, give my husband the strength he needs to persevere. Let him come home to us alive and unharmed. The Queen was confident in Daveth's skills as a warrior, but hearing of his current state and knowing he will have difficulty getting past Euron and Yara on his own did cause her to be concerned for his safety.