Chapter 73: Interlude -- Stannis Baratheon

―At Dragonstone―

Shireen Baratheon was in a happy mood. When she delivered the letter to Ser Davos, informing the Onion Knight of her cousin's decision to pardon him, the bars to his cells were flung open and she immediately embraced the old man. He had never seen the girl so happy, but he felt a wave of relief wash over him as he hugged her back. Now that Davos was released and his past deeds erased, Shireen helped teach the Onion Knight to read as she promised.

In her chambers, Davos read scroll after scroll—though judging by the expression on his face, he still had a hard time making out the words. Shireen watched in amusement as she flipped another page of her book, trying not to laugh. "'To his lordship Stannis Baratheon of Draygon— Dragonstone!... euh, in-in... invaded—'," he stammered, "'inv— invit— invited! to the name day celebration for... Rylene Florent on the first nigit—'"

"Night," Shireen corrected him.

Davos shook his head. "'First night of the full moon,'" he looked at Shireen. "Why is there a 'G' in night?" he asked.

Shireen shrugged her shoulders. "I don't know. There just is."

"Well, your father's not going to go to that."

"I'm glad you're here."

Davos smiled. "Me too, child. Kinda surprised you asked the King himself."

"Daveth's my cousin," she pointed out. "All I had to do was to just ask for a favor to get you out of the cells and I got it. I knew from the beginning you were no traitor."

"You've a much tender heart; more so than your father, believe me."

Shireen stood and walked over to her table and returned, bringing over the book she was reading moments earlier. "Here! This book my cousin gave me is so much better than these boring scrolls. It's called An History of Aegon the Conqueror and His Conquest of Westeros. You could read about Balerion the Dread. They say you can still see his skull in the dungeons beneath the Red Keep," she said in excitement. "I'd like to see that someday. Maybe I'll ask Daveth to show 'em to us the next time we go to King's Landing!"

"Ah, but your cousin's a busy man. Got a lot on his mind. The King does not have time for such drudgery," Davos reminded her. "That and I've been trying to stay out of those dungeons my whole life."

Shireen tried to hide her disappointment, even as she watched the Onion Knight reading a more recent scroll.

"'To all the lords and knobble men of Westeros'—"

"Noblemen," she corrected him again.

Davos shook his head. "'Noblemen of Westeros, the Night's Watch...'" his eyes examined the letters before his tone of voice grew quieter yet very serious, "'implores...'"

Shireen lifted her head up, his ears perked up when she heard Davos' last statement. "What is it?" she asked slightly concerned.

Davos and Shireen raised their heads up in unison at the sounds of bells ringing from King's Landing some several miles away. The Onion Knight felt his nerves twitch and a swirl of uncertain suspicions form in the pit of his stomach. Rising up from his seat, Ser Davos motioned Shireen to stay put while goes to investigate. Dragonstone had never seemed so dark and fearsome. He walked slowly, his footsteps echoing off black walls and dragons. The Stone Drum loomed huge ahead of him. The guards at the door uncrossed their spears as he approached. Upon opening the doors, Davos spots both Stannis leaning against the Chamber of the Painted Table with his back faced to him.

"My lord Stannis," Davos stepped forward.

If Stannis was surprised to find him at the Painted Table, he gave no sign. "If you're here about the bells, then that means the infamous trial by seven is over. The traitor Littlefinger and Cersei Lannister are set to be executed within the fortnight," he said. "And when Melisandre returns with Robert's bastard, we're to depart to White Harbor."