Chapter 129: Battle of Greenstone

―At Greenstone―

Lord Eldon of House Estermont was rallying all of his troops in a desperate fight for survival against an all-too-common enemy: the Golden Company. His younger brother, Ser Lomas, was overseeing the Stormlands garrison stationed on the island while they watched their home under siege, crops being seized or burned east of Cape Wrath.

"My lord, our men are being overwhelmed! There's too many of them!" a scout reported.

The 73-year-old Lord of Greenstone sighed at the harsh and unfortunate scenario. Cut off by land and sea, the elderly Estermont fought and survived through multiple battles in his long life: from fighting on the Stepstones against Maelys the Monstrous during the War of the Ninepenny Kings, from the Battle of Summerhall to the climactic Battle of the Trident during Robert's Rebellion, the First Greyjoy Rebellion, Stag Sedition and the Second Greyjoy Rebellion. "Then this is where we make our final stand," he concluded. "Lomas, where is your son Andrew?"

His younger 70-year-old brother had the same expression on his face. "Andrew is a Storm's End, brother. Either way, Connington will be moving his armies there after this battle ends," he answered. "I guess this is it, isn't it?"

"It would seem so. We lived quite an adventurous life and did all we could. We'll be seeing our sister again soon enough. Our only hope for our family now rests upon her grandson." Eldon turned to his scout. "Send a raven to my son Aemon and grandson Alyn in King's Landing. Tell them everything that's happened here and... inform Aemon that he is to take my place as the new Lord of Greenstone."

The scout sighed with resignation. "I... I understand, my lord. It's been an honor to serve House Estermont."

Eldon unsheathed his longsword. "Likewise, lad. Now... let's do what needs to be done. Take as many of these foreign invaders down with us."

Even with their increased numbers—men, women and young adolescents—the Volantenes portion of the Golden Company sellswords under the command of Ser Marq Mandrake were more seasoned, highly disciplined and well-equipped able to quickly establish orderly camps. The mercenary company was by far considered the finest and most powerful in the Free Cities, having never broken a contract. Once ashore, Ser Marq was quick to establish a foothold—yet even then even he was surprised at being met with sudden resistance from the local populace.

"Press the attack!" he bellowed. "Kill any who stand in your way!"

The Golden Company troops raised their swords and rushed, combating against Estermont men-at-arms and Greenstone's local militia; 500 Volantenes sellswords fought against practically most the small mountainous island. The weather was uncomfortable: damp, windswept and poor; Ser Marq led his men up the slopes of Estermont towards the ancestral castle of Greenstone itself.

"Bah, bloody terrain," he cursed.

"Back, foreign scum!" a farmer wielding a pitchfork exclaimed.

"Get out of our home!" shouted another.

One of the Golden Company troops plunged their sword through a man's throat; a sickening "Blurrgh!" sound came out of his throat before falling onto the muddy ground. Tooth and nail, men and women of Greenstone put up a fierce resistance long enough for the Estermont troops to arrive—yet even then the Golden Company would not let up.

Old Lord Eldon and Lomas joined the fray with the rest of their household guards, sword in hand, determined to fight to the bitter end. Just the way they themselves had wanted to. The Estermont brothers fought long and hard, despite their old age. With every one soldier they lost, they made sure the foreign sellswords lost five. Since the Dawn Age, nearly every man, woman and child living in the Stormlands were shaped by the elements of their land. Across the Narrow Sea east of Cape Wrath, a line of flame burned along the whole riverfront: docks and homes, the air tested of ash and smoke, everything burned while the Golden Company continued to sweep through the island.