Chapter 57: Trial of Sandor Clegane

—The Riverlands—

The Hollow Hill...

Bodrin and Gendry were blindfolded, led by the arms by Thoros of Myr and Anguy to a hidden location in the Hollow Hill. Both didn't know where they were being taken to, but somehow Bodrin did not have a good feeling by being surrounded by the Brotherhood Without Banners group; had to be a small band of outlaws, nothing more. At least that's what the old man had previously assumed. Once he felt himself being tugged forward again, he had to guts to finally speak up.

"Seven hells, at least tell us where you're taking us."

Thoros looked back. "Sorry about that, old man, but it's better for you if you don't see where we're going."

"But why the secrecy?"

Anguy felt increasingly irritated. "Because we can't risk any of you selling us out to the Lannisters, that's why."

The Lannisters? They're the King's maternal relatives.

Being led into a nearby cave, Hollow Hill, Thoros raised his hand up – motioning for the small team to stop. He pulled out a flask before taking a big sip; once finished, Thoros politely held it towards Bodrin. The old man thought there was something near his face considering the smell, but still couldn't see since his face remained hidden underneath the hood and his hands were tied. "What is it?" Bodrin asked suspiciously.

"Blackstrap rum. Not easy finding molasses in war time."

"I'd have some," Gendry requested.

Bodrin did not seem to appreciate that. "Perhaps later, my boy; once we're someplace safer."

"What's wrong, old man? You don't feel safe here?" Anguy taunted.

"Nowhere is safe, child, not with Balon Greyjoy rebelling against His Grace King Daveth."

"Yet it takes place along the western coast."

"Look, I don't know where you're taking us. Could be leading Gendry and I into a trap for all we know."

"Do you take us for bandits, cutthroats... or Lannister henchmen?"

"I take you for reasonable human beings, I hope."

Anguy shook his head and pushed the two into the cave. Thoros caught Bodrin before the old man stumbled forward, considering each step is steep and slippery – unsafe for men Bodrin's age. Gendry slipped and fell a while, but the young man quickly got back up. Around them in this damp, dark cave lit torches were hung on the walls with a campfire sitting in the middle. Bodrin felt chills running up and down his spine, yet felt surprising warmth nearby. It was then that Thoros and Anguy made both Bodrin and Gendry stop in their tracks before finally removing their hoods. Both men blinked to adjust to the light before taking a moment to take in their new surroundings. They never seen this cave and wondered why they were brought here.

"What's this place?" Gendry asked.

Anguy looked at the former apprentice smith. "This place is somewhere neither wolves nor lions come prowling. Now leave it at that."

"What are you going to do to us?" Bodrin asked.

Thoros glanced to his left. "Just answer a couple questions for us and you're free to go. Do you know this man here?" he pointed.

Bodrin looked in Thoros' direction and saw a couple other apparent outlaws dragging a rather large man who still struggled in his restraints. His face was covered as well, but Bodrin noticed the armor he wore. Whoever this man was, the Brotherhood Without Banners must've wanted him alive for something. When they finally removed the hood, his eyes widened as he recognized him: with long hair covering the right half of his face, unveiling severe burn scars on that side was someone Bodrin was familiar with all too well.