Lingering Loss.

tw: police bastardization, murder, racism, death

12:01 pm.

My best friend died today 6 hard years ago, no justice, an act of racism on a wednesday night.

Abigail Valasquez. Say her name.

5 years ago...

"Abigail was just a 23 year old girl at a party, a party that had nothing but alcohol. Abigail was putting herself through college by working two jobs, she was to graduate with her masters in english just a month from the day of her murder. She wanted to be an author, write children's books." I state to the crowd of people outside the courthouse, her trial was happening right now. "Do you guys know what she wanted most in life? Children. Abigail wanted babies to raise and grow into individuals. She had dreams and every one of those dreams were ripped away from her when that man in there took the life from her body. Took her away from us, from her friends, her family, her lover. That man is a murderer and Abigail deserves her justice. Don Callahan is a murderer. Abigail Valasquez is a victim of systemic racism and corruption in the police department. Abigail Velasquez. Say her name and say it loud." I shout.

"Abigail Valasquez!" They chant.

8 months ago my best friend was murdered, she was my sister in many ways. Living without her was like living in hell, living every day without her smile, laugh, her humor, her heart, it was hell. A special kind of hell. Her boyfriend at the time, though they had only been dating for a few months was pretty broken up about it for a while there, but he healed. Her parents were devastated and broken hearted and grieving the loss of their daughter. Seeing her parents cry is something that scarred me, that i'll never forget. Today she may receive her justice and she deserved to have it, the uplifting thought that she could rest peacefully. Though I couldn't go in the courthouse and had to keep the protesters calm I was there, I was doing my part.

"The judge is making her final decision!" I inform to the crowd of protesters. The text message from her mother hits my screen. 'he's not going to be arrested for murder.'

Present day...

I arrive at work and Emily is laughing with Derek and Penelope, JJs on the phone at her desk flirting with somebody, Aaron and Rossi are in his office, Spencer's reading a book at his desk. "What's your meeting with Hotch about?" He asks as I walk past his desk. "I mean I know you and Hotch are friends but you don't usually make meetings to converse with him."

"It's just personal stuff. I have something I want him to look into." I tell the snoopy Dr. Reid.

"A case?" He asks.

I nod my head. "Mhm."

"What kind of case?" He asks leaning in closer to me.

I shift uncomfortably. "Abigail Valasquez. She was the second of 3 murders in the past 10 years, all 3 of them were people of color." I deadpan.