Chapter One // "So JJ Huh?"

"To live is the rarest thing in the world

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. most people just exist." - Oscar Wilde.

I've been working at the Behavioral Analysis Unit for six months, it's safe to say it's been a roller coaster. My first case was easy, I had just joined the team two weeks prior. We flew to Atlanta where there was a string of four murders. All of them were prostitutes, blondes, and had an abortion in the last three months. We solved the case within five days and flew back home. It wasn't a good case, none of them are, but it was better than the ones we've had recently.

The one person helping me through it was Emily, Emily Prentiss. She and I had become good friends, whenever we were on cases or doing paperwork she always hung out with me; over everyone else on the team, she had been spending her time with me. It kind of made me feel special, like I was important to her. Honestly I kind of have a crush on her, she's just so pretty and kind it's hard not to. I am the only openly lgbt member on the team, which isn't super surprising. Rumor had it JJ has had a thing for Emily for over a year, no one knew if Emily liked her back and truth be told, I hoped she didn't.

My stupid crush has been bubbling up for the past two months and it's ready to over flow. I know I can't and won't act on it; that would be wildly inappropriate and extremely embarrassing for her to shut me down. The way Emily dresses and her personality in general lead me to believe she was maybe gay in some way. The black turtlenecks, cargo pants, and button up shirts are such a constant throw off. If she was, she wasn't out to anyone yet.

Today's a paperwork day and no one's having any fun whatsoever.

Derek walks in the room with a wide smile. "She was such a hot chick, last night was wild." He told Reid, Spencer Reid. Spencer scrunched his face uncomfortably and Derek made his way to my desk. "Hey Aria, you've got to see this chick I bagged last night." He gloats.

I laugh. "Derek, i'll tell you again, just because i'm a lesbian doesn't mean I want to see every hot girl you tap." I say, rolling my eyes.

"C'mon Pierce, why do you gotta be such a buzzkill?" He whines.

"How about you go show Hotch, then tell me who's the bigger buzzkill." I say, through laughter.

Emily walks up, intervening on the conversation. "Hey Morgan, I'll check out your hot chick." She says, smirking.

He glares at me. "Thanks Prentiss, somebody wouldn't even look." I roll my eyes at him as he pulls up the picture on his phone.

Emily. takes a bite of her bagel. "Damn, she is hot." She congratulates Morgan.

Morgan smirks. "Wow Prentiss, didn't know you played for the other team."

She grins and begins walking off, swaying her hips. "There are a lot of things you don't know about me." She's such a tease, it's like she messes with me on purpose.

-

A couple more hours goes by and Emily slides her chair over to my desk. "I'm done with my paperwork!" She says smiling.

I pout. "I'm not."

She pouts back. "When do you think you will be done?" She asks.

I think for a moment. "I would say an hour, maybe less. Why?"

Emily nods and smiles. "I was thinking we all go out as a team, but I wanted to base it around when you can go. Honestly, I don't want to go unless you are, it's not as fun."

Was she flirting with me? Was Emily Prentiss flirting with me? She was wasn't she. Maybe i'm tripping she could just want my company. I bring myself back into reality and smile. "Yeah okay, sounds fun!"

She smiles and stands up. "Do you guys want to go out tonight? Like to a bar?" She asks the group loudly.

JJ raises her hand like the dork she is. "I'll go. I'm gonna go get mom and dad and bring them out here." She says, referring to David Rossi and Aaron Hotchner.

Penelope Garcia walks in the room. "Hello Lovelies."

I spin in my chair to face her. "Wanna go to a bar with us tonight?"

She smiles, practically jumping for joy. "I would love to!"

Derek laughs. "If my baby girl is going, then i'm going too." He flirts.

Penelope smiles. "Chocolate thunder and I are in."

JJ brings Hotch and Rossi down the stairs and Morgan stands up. "Wanna go to a bar with us?" He asks nonchalantly. I could never.

Rossi shakes his head. "I've got a date with pasta tonight." He smiles.

Everyone laughs and I crack a joke. "The italian stallion, papa pasta, has a date with pasta. Shocker." I say sarcastically.

Emily places her hand on my shoulder, laughing harder at my joke. Rossi shakes his head smiling. "Haha." He says sarcastically.

Hotch smiles, a rare sighting. "I'll have to go with the italian stallion and say no. I've got Jack and Hales at home, but another time."

Emily spins in her chair to face Reid throwing a ball of paper at him. "Hey!" He complains.

"Come to a bar with us pretty please." She pleads.

He shakes his head. "I don't want to."

"C'mon Reid, we want you there." JJ whines.

Spencer looks to her and nods. "Fine I'll go, but i'm not gonna black out like you guys are." He says snarkily.

Hotch clears his throat. "None of you better get black out drunk."

Emily rolls her eyes playfully. "Fine only Pierce and I. We'll black out and make out." She smirks at me.

I smirk back at her. "I'm down for that."

Hotch gets uncomfortable and continues to leave the room, exiting through the glass doors. I turn my head to watch him go and I can still feel Emily staring at me. I turn back around to catch her and she doesn't stop, just smirks and clears her throat. "Let's go in an hour." She says to the group.

They all agree and go their separate ways. Reid to his book, Rossi to his office, Derek and I back to our paperwork, Penelope to her den. Emily didn't go anywhere, she sat and talked to me for the next hour.

-

"I'm not dressed to hit the bar." I laugh.

JJ shakes her head. "I disagree, I think you look great." I smile at her compliment and leave the break room, back to my desk I go.

Emily sets my stuff in my hands. "Hey, you carpooled with Reid this morning right?" She asks.

I nod. "I did, I'll have to ride with him to the bar. I totally forgot." I groan.

She bites her lip. "Or you could just ride with me? I'll take you home and everything after." She offers.

"Yeah sure. Thanks." I agree with a smile.

Everyone gets in their cars and the drive to the bar is short and quiet, terribly quiet. I'm desperate to make conversation so the dumbest shit i've ever said in my entire life slips from my lips. "So JJ huh?"